PDA

View Full Version : Cost of electricity?

Mcdugle
05-17-2013, 05:10 PM
How much electricity does a 5.5hp motor use over the course of a season?

heus
05-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Probably not much help but ran 2, 1.5, and 3/4 pumps over an 8 week period and it cost around $200.

wiam
05-17-2013, 07:34 PM
There are a lot of questions before that can be answered. Amps * volts / 1000 * your electric rate per kilowatt * hrs run should give the cost

firetech
05-17-2013, 08:04 PM
to help even further we can use the rule of thumb of 746 watts/hp of electrical motors. then into the formula that wiam gave us

doocat
05-18-2013, 08:04 AM
I run a 3 hp liquid ring and small ceramic heater all season (never turns off) and it was a little over $500 this year. Electric is high here in rural Pennsylvania.

Craig

maple flats
05-18-2013, 12:04 PM
For me it cost about $14,000 but I have paid for my use for the rest of my life. I have 6.32 KW solar/grid tied and net metered. I generally produce more than I use and this will be the case until I build a house there. Right now I have about 1200 KWH in my favor on the meter, since Nov 26, 2012.

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-18-2013, 06:31 PM
For me it cost about $14,000 but I have paid for my use for the rest of my life. I have 6.32 KW solar/grid tied and net metered. I generally produce more than I use and this will be the case until I build a house there. Right now I have about 1200 KWH in my favor on the meter, since Nov 26, 2012.
do you keep your "credits" at year end or do they wash out?. Here in VT you loose all extra KW's so in essence you just gave the power company "x" amount of extra KW's to sell to some one else.

maple flats
07-13-2013, 04:41 PM
In NY on a commercial meter they keep rolling over. Commercial meters can not cash out. Residential meters on the other hand cash out on the anniversary date. I understand that date can be changed at the homeowners request to get the maximum benefit but the dates you are allowed to reset are limited.
In my case, on a commercial meter, I just carry over. As such, I will be using more electric. I recently converted my gas powered RO to electric, as well as changes in the wings, such as switching from propane instant hot water to electric. I also send power from the sugarhouse 120' to an RV. In there the refrigerator is propane/electric, I run it on electric. The RV (5th wheel) is set in the woods in almost full shade, so I also run a dehumidifier all the time to prevent dampness issues, all run from my net metered solar array. As of July 1 I still had over 1500 KWH credit on my meter.
This all just means I paid about $16,500 up front for out of pocket electrical costs after all credits and incentives. Then I can recover another roughly $6,000 in tax credits in Fed and State combined IF I have that much tax liability before the 2016 tax year return sunsets those credits. The hard part to me is that I have to pay $22.93 every month for delivery fees (line charge) to sell the utility my excess power. In all of this that cost that bothers me the most. I also have a cold cellar planned which will possibly be further cooled using a cool-bot, a device that controls a room air conditioner to run to far colder temps than the built in controls. Then I can cool the well insulated cellar to 38 or 40 degrees for better syrup storage.