PDA

View Full Version : building a school sugarshack

JimW
09-23-2006, 12:58 PM
I teach a high school course in Natural Resource and Outdoor Studies, and one of our projects is maple syrup production. This coming winter will be our third year. We had 10 taps our first year, 25 last year, and are expanding to 40-50 taps this year. We have purchased a small 3 X 2 wood fired evaporator for this upcoming season.

We are in the beginning stages of building a small sugar shack, only 8' by 8' feet, but our budget is very limited and our woodworking shop had already started to build the frame for an 8'by8' shed, so we figured we would use that. Also in Sept. 2007 the International Ploughing Match and Rural Expo is being held about 20 minutes from our school and my class is setting up a display and we plan on bringing the shack on a flat trailer to display at the match, so we don't want it too big.

We are planing on using reclaimed barn boards for the exterior of the shack, once we dismantle the barn. We also will build a cupola in the roof for steam to escape. For lighting we are hoping to install a small solar panel to power a few compact flourescent lights (budget permitting).

We are still deciding on interior material, roofing material, ventilation options...ect.

Just looking for suggestions on materails to use, issues you may thing of based on our plan...any feedback at all. Our budget is very minimal, so we want to do it right the first time.

Thanks

JimW

Al
09-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Hi JimW, here in Fairfield, Vt. the school built a sugarhouse. It's alot larger then 8x8 but they got alot of grants and community donations. Leader donated a new 2x6 and 300 gallon stainless tank. The sugarhouse is used for a outdoor classroom until sugaring time and after. They also put a greenhouse off of one end to grow science projects and flowers. That may be something to think about. I had a 10 by 14 sugarhouse with a 2 x 5 1/2 evaporator and found out quickly it was to small especially with our children. We have since put a 10 by 12 room off the end so we have room for kids. We have alot of visitors and the extra space is welcome. We have put up educational posters in that room for visitors to look at. We also have doors at both ends to help with traffic flow. We are a small 140 bucket operation that makes more fun then syrup. I congratulate you on your efforts to get this program up and running. Wishing you continued sucess!

JimW
09-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Al,

Thanks for the input, we have been trying for over 2 years to get government grants with no luck, so have decided to move ahead.

I noticed your signature lists turkey fryer filter rig, can you provide any details, we are trying to figure out a good, economical filter setup.

Jim

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Jim,

Might get the kids involved and get some local businesses to dontate to the cause. Local businesses are usually willing to donate to some that will better the kids. :)

Pete33Vt
09-24-2006, 05:55 AM
Jim
Sounds like a fun project. Others on here were right. Talk to the local people, businesses, and such. You might be suprised at the outcome. As far as your power. When its setup at school you could plug into the building. When your on the road maybe you could find a generator to use.
Also it might be worth it to look into making the whole sugar house a trailer. What I mean is when its at school you can have it on the ground, When its time to move it just jack it up and put trailer axles under it. All you should have to do is start with a good soild steel frame. Maybe a local salvage yard has a moible home frame you could cut down. Have the front hitch unboltable. When its time to go jack up, slibe trailer axldes under bolt them to the frame, install the hitch and your on the road. Don't forget slow moving triangle on the back. Also you might want to think of the size a little closer. I know the budget is an issue but if you could go say 10x10 it would give you more room inside. When you get to boiling all the kids are going to want to be inside to check it out and help. You don't want anyone getting burnt or bumping into things. Also it will give more room to pack away things for transport, ie.. smoke stack parts, tanks,etc.
Good luck with everything and again, ask the locals. Around here most are will to help the kids.
Pete

brookledge
09-24-2006, 08:30 AM
I'm not sure on widths allowed for trailers but I but i believe you are only allowed 8.5' in width before you need a wide load permit for over the road.
So if you did anything I would add length not width. Another thing is to add bracing and make sure it is sound because if it is going to be towed over the road you want it to remain structurely sound.
Good luck
Keith

HanginAround
09-24-2006, 07:31 PM
Maybe you could argue that it's a farm vehicle, because they are normally exempt, LOL. Actually, building it to slide onto a farm wagon chassis might be an idea! Kinda high up in the air though, build steps too :D

JimW
09-24-2006, 09:18 PM
Thanks for all the input and ideas. We are still looking at the size and have considered building it on a hay wagon, but it would be quite high off the ground. The other issue is the school board is not big on letting schools purchase used equipment.

For power we plan on plugging it into school power when needed, but we would like to use the shack as an alternative energy demonstration as well so we thought solar would be good.

Any suggestions on inexpensive, durable interior wall material? What about ventilation? or adding an exhaust fan?

I will be working with some of my students this week to put together some information to approach local businesses for support.

Thanks again, and I'll keep everyone updated.

Jim