PDA

View Full Version : CDL wood fired 2x8

tmessier79
05-16-2013, 07:16 PM
Hey all,

I'm about to push the button on a new evaporator from CDL on Monday. I used to boil on a waterloo 2x6 drop flu with cross flow syrup pan, but am upgrading to a CDL 2x8 raised flu, and they are going to custom build me a reverse flow pan. Anyone out there have any experience on CDL rigs? They look super nice, and seem to be top notch quality, but would like some feed back before Monday. Also, it seems like everyone prefers cross flow, but I like the traditional look of the reverse pans, and have plenty of room to draw off on both sides. Anyone have any feed back on this? Thanks in advance........

Rselleck91
05-16-2013, 08:27 PM
I have not boiled on a cdl rig but they seem real nice. My d&g had cross flow but I went back to reverse flow. Cross flow is nice for large pans because you can run seperate syrup pans making them easier to change. Raised flue is nice it's all on you they both have ups and downs. Good luck

PerryW
05-16-2013, 10:32 PM
I've never used a cross-flow pans, but have boiled in a 3x10 waterloo raisied flue reverse flow for 23 years. Personally I can't see the benefit in having to switch pans like they do in a cross flow situation. As long as you religiously reverse the flow after each boil, you never have to clean the front pan till the end of the season. If I expect to make well over 100 gallons in the season, I will sometimes do a single mid-season cleaning, but usually not.

regor0
05-16-2013, 11:46 PM
I've used a leader 2x6 and bought a cdl 2x6 this year. The leader is way easier to reverse the flow. Personally I wish I would have bought something other than a cdl. My cdl after I boiled on it for a few hours I cant get the doors open without a crowbar. They all make syrup but just a word of caution--- ASK EVERY QUESTION YOU EVER EVEN THOUGHT MIGHT BE RELEVANT TO USING AND SETTING IT UP. I found that once I wrote the check the dealer lost interest. I even tried to get info from cdl usa.....not even a return email. I have heard leader has great customer service, Have heard good things about smoky lake, and the D&G had good manuals. Good luck.

steam maker
05-17-2013, 05:41 AM
I have a cdl rig and love it, it is built with high quality and it boils hard! I have a air tight front with a blower factory installed. If u go with air tight make sure u get the pan pusher kit with th insulation bars ! Makes huge difference! As for customer service i think all u guys that had bad experinces need to call the two cdl guys i work with cause ive never had a problem and actually get courtesy calls asking how things are going. Oh well anyway u go ull be happy having a new rig

yards1520
05-17-2013, 07:43 AM
I bought a new cdl 2X8 last year with an air tight front, blower, and cross flow pans. I LOVE this rig! I didnt know how I would like the cross flow pans myself as I have always boiled on reverse flow, but now after boiling on cross flow I would nevr go back. The rig boiled very hard and I never had a problem making syrup in the middle pan after start up like I always did with revese flow. I made 360 gallons of syrup on this evaporator this year @ 16-20% concentrate so the niter built up fast, but it was sweet being able to shut down and swap out pans for a clean one (I bought an extra front pan). I think I would have had a much harder time with the reverse flow.
I have dealt with all 4 major dealers and I think CDL is def. my favorite to deal with. Very knowledgeable people and always have an answer for my questions. Great prices on evaporators too I thought. Good luck!

tmessier79
05-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the info, I think I am really going to like the rig too.

tmessier79
05-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Have you spoke with the guys at CDL about the doors? I would hope they would try to recommend something or help out.

tmessier79
05-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Thanks. Can you tell me specifically why you went back to reverse flow? When I was using my Waterloo rig, I had very little nitre build up to begin with, and figure with a reverse flow, I should be able to keep it pretty clean.

tmessier79
05-17-2013, 02:40 PM
That is great to hear, thanks for the info. I don't have the extra money to go for the air tight front, but still have high hopes for the standard arch.

tmessier79
05-17-2013, 02:45 PM
Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts. I was thinking in my mind that the reverse flow pans were the right choice for me, and you pretty well firmed that up for me. The CDL guys are willing to custom build me a reverse flow pan at no extra charge. But, because so many people prefer cross flow, I want to make sure I'm making the right decision before I seal the deal on Monday. I appreciate all the help. Does any one out there have any good pictures of their reverse flow set up? I would like to see a picture of their flu pan and syrup pan to get a better idea of what to expect to change the flow.

heus
05-17-2013, 02:54 PM
My 2x6 was a cross flue. My new rig is a reverse flow. I prefer the reverse flow its much easier to reverse the flow to clean the niter buildup than having to swap out a pan. Although if your syrup pan is only 2 feet long (maybe its 3?) it may not be enough surface area for the reverse flow to do much good in cleaning built-up niter.

tmessier79
05-17-2013, 03:01 PM
The syrup pan is going to be 2x3. I hope it works out!! I'm glad to hear you like the reverse flow though.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-18-2013, 09:32 PM
I have been running a high efficiency Leader 2x8 for 10 years and I reverse the flow every 5 gallon of syrup which is about 2 to 2.5 hours now with a steamaway on it and boiling 1.7 to 1.8 sap. I see advantages to reversing the flow and it definitely helps the scale clean up in the drawoff side after the reverse. I like to clean the evaporator every 2,000 to 2,500 gallon of sap with a good vinegar bath and makes a big difference on syrup quality and helps keep it cleaner and easier to clean at seasons end and helps the syrup go back to light if it is starting to darken up unless it is close to the end of the season. Forced air will give you probably another 40% in evaporation rate. Maybe thinking you can't afford it but if you do you won't ever regret it and thank yourself 1,000 times for paying the extra.