PDA

View Full Version : FDA inspectors.......

maplefrank
05-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Has anyone had the FDA inspectors???????? I heard they are in southern new york............

maple flats
05-16-2013, 04:02 PM
Not yet. I suspect it will happen sooner or later.

maplefrank
05-16-2013, 08:26 PM
r you the one who has solar?????? i would like to learn more about it.....

PerryW
05-16-2013, 10:33 PM
not in 24 years.

maple flats
05-17-2013, 04:52 AM
r you the one who has solar?????? i would like to learn more about it.....
Yes, I have 6.32 KW solar and I'm net metered, meaning my meter run forward and backward. I'm currently at a reading of more than 1100 KWH in my favor.

Moser's Maple
05-21-2013, 04:59 AM
I know that Larry Rudd, of Rudd's Maple in Mannsville, NY was inspected during the season. But he is also right on the main drag of RT 11 so it is easy to see from the road and would be easy for someone to stop by when going from point A to B. At a recent meeting a FDA rep stated that right now they are taking the position to not rush into inspection unless a complaint has been issued. She also when on to state for our region....syracuse North there are only 3 inspectors, all od which are based out of Syracuse. She also stated that inspections will take place down the road, but the FDA is working on defining the apporiate acceptable condition of sugar houses, and they are working on getting more inspectors that understand the maple industry, that could carry out the inspections.

nymapleguy607
05-23-2013, 07:39 AM
Are the inspections being done to producers that only sell in bulk or are they inspecting everyone?

Moser's Maple
05-23-2013, 04:50 PM
from my understanding if you produce maple syrup and sell to the public in any quanity you are subject to inspection.

maple flats
06-12-2013, 04:51 AM
Has anyone been told what the requirements are for the sugarhouse itself, equipment, tanks, collection system, etc? So far I have no idea what the FDA wants us to comply with.

PerryFamily
06-12-2013, 05:40 AM
Vermont is doing voluntary inspections. I think on the VMSMA web site the list is available.
Most things are pretty basic and common sense, covered lights,enclosed cupola,stone or concrete floor, tanks covered......and a hand wash station. They said it can be as simple as a potable 5gal jug with a spigot, a bucket to catch the waste water, paper towels and soap. Seems as though there was something about MSDS and record keeping on cleaning procedures . Oh and the ever popular lead test if you use any galvanized, soldered pans or brass gear pumps. I think it cost $200 and $30 for the lead test.

maple flats
06-12-2013, 08:30 AM
That sounds radically more lax than what I heard yesterday. I was told another producer in NY was inspected and among other things, was told the concrete floor must be sealed and have 2 coats of paint on it, the walls and ceiling must be washable, they must have 2 sinks, a mop sink and a hand wash sink. I was told if on reinspection they haven't complied there would be a hefty fine and their syrup would be dumped. Please tell me this is just a bad rumor.
I have no lead bearing solder, valves or fittings, my only issue might be a brass pump on filter press. However if the report (rumor?) I heard yesterday is correct I have a lot to do.

PerryFamily
06-12-2013, 06:50 PM
flats- I would not surprise me that that NY would have more stringent rules. Again, the VT rules are available on the Vermont Maple Sugar Makers Association web site. And as of right now it is voluntary in VT but my guess is once people register with the FDA the feds will do the math and figure out that a annual inspection will raise revenue and we all will be getting a visit from a inspector of some sort at some time in the future.

Thompson's Tree Farm
06-13-2013, 04:54 AM
If it is FDA then the rules are federal, not state so all would be the same. My understanding is that all this is still in the preliminary stages and we and they (FDA) still really have no firm handle on what inspections will be like. If I was building new and had to hazard a guess, I'd look closely at the Vt recommendations and what is expected in other farm located, food production situations such as milk.