PDA

View Full Version : Jobs within the maple industry

jrmaple
05-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Hi all, I am currently in college and I would really like to get a job within the maple industry, but my problem is I don't know what to study in college, I am currently undecided in my major or any minors. I am trying to find out what people are looking for in a possible client or person that is submitting for a job such as a representative, distributor, product salesman or anything like. What should I study that would make my application look more appealing at a job interview, besides experience, knowledge of the subject and common manners and etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated if there is anybody out there that currently holds a job within a major maple company. Thank you.

I don't know if I am posting this in the right section or not but I guess it's worth a try.

JR

ennismaple
05-14-2013, 09:22 PM
JR - I think a degree in mechanical or electrical engineering/technology would suit you very well. If you're working for a supplier they have a lot of product development, manufacturing and problem solving requirements. Why not call Leader and ask?

delivron
05-15-2013, 06:13 AM
Contact Michael Farrell at Lake Placid NY Uihlein Sugar Maple Research
& Extension Field Station Cornell University.

Michael has a PHD in your field of interest and sleeps, and breathes maple!

DrTimPerkins
05-15-2013, 07:51 AM
... I would really like to get a job within the maple industry, but my problem is I don't know what to study in college,...

It is probably going to depend greatly on what type of job you would like. If you want to be in product development, probably engineering. If in sales, then perhaps business. If a representative/distributor, maybe some forestry, some business, some engineering. Regardless of what degree you get, experience in the field of maple is going to be quite important, so getting experience via a part-time job, volunteering, or an internship with a larger producer or equipment company would be useful. If you're interested in maple research and extension, then forestry, botany, plant science, agriculture, etc. Probably the best approach would be to identify those people in a position like you are interested in, and ask them how they got there and how they would go about getting the job if they were in college now.