PDA

View Full Version : bottles Forming Sugar

Spartazoo
05-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Some of my bottled (8 oz bottles) syrup is developing what I consider large sugar crystals at the bottom of the jars? What did I do wrong?

whalems
05-14-2013, 03:08 PM
you cooked it past density. Did you use a hydrometer?

brookledge
05-14-2013, 09:01 PM
Like Mike said, the syrup is over density. However it can still be used. If you checked it with a hydrometer then the hydrometer is off. I always keep two or three hydrometers to check against each other. Did you label with a batch number? That would help you identify in containers other than glass.
Also syrup in a container that is opened and closed tons of times, left out on the counter for hours open will have more water evaporate out and can cause crystalization over time
Keith

Spartazoo
05-23-2013, 05:22 AM
I did use a hydrometer. Next year I will have a back up! Thanks.

michiganphil
05-30-2013, 03:39 PM
What temp. did you bottle it? Your density could have been right when you finished the batch, but the crystals could have formed when bottling.

1.If you bottle at or above 200 deg.F, you will make more sugar sand and could have changed the density as well.
2.If you try to reheat too quickly (i.e. burner on high) it can create hot spots on the bottom of the pot and create crystals. Make sure to reheat slowly, and even stir a little to ensure even heating of the entire batch, or better yet look into a water jacketed bottling unit.

maple flats
05-30-2013, 04:36 PM
It could be any of the above, or the hydrometer may be off. A hydrometer should always be lowered very slowly into the syrup, if it hits bottom it can move the paper inside and give a bad reading. There are trade shows in the east for maple equipment and at many there is free testing of the hydrometer. Try to find something like that in Michigan. Here the testing is generally done by the State authority that governs maple such as Ag and Markets, or the Dept of Agriculture or such, should be similar there. If you can't find something ask your dealer, they can likely help. After you get it tested and properly calibrated, get a ref. mark somehow to re verify yourself in the future. Also, make sure the hydrometer is clean on the stem above the syrup, clean it often. A film of sugar on the upper stem will cause it to float low. Then you make it over density to get the reading you want, resulting in heavy syrup.