PDA

View Full Version : Maple drops

Albert gravlin
05-13-2013, 05:35 PM
I have been experimenting with the maple drops. Does my one have the receipt for them using maple syrup, glucose and sucrose? I used the one with maple syrup and corn syrup, and had some success. Thanks for any help.

brass maple
05-18-2013, 08:55 PM
i have only made the kind with corn syrup but here is a couple o recipes i have found/
MAPLE SUCKERS/LOLLIPOPS AND HARD CANDY
Our goal was to develop hard candy with 100% maple or with as much maple syrup as possible. Typically lollipops formulation include the use of corn syrup or invert sugar in order to obtain the right combination of sugars to produce hard candy.
We evaluated the use of corn syrup, honey and inverted maple syrup to determine the appropri-ate proportions and cooking temperatures. Results with honey in concentrations as low as 10% honey were not as good due to the strong honey flavor and loss of brittleness over time, thus we are not recommending the use of honey at this time.
For candy making though, careful preparation and experience is necessary, as environmental conditions (temperature and humidity) can make a difference.
Equipment needed: Stove top, pots, scale, candy thermometer or other appropriate food ther-mometer.
Supplies needed: maple syrup, corn syrup, candy or lollipop molds, sticks.
Formulation and preparation with Corn Syrup – 500 g batch
75% Medium Amber Maple syrup 375 g maple syrup
25% Corn Syrup (from supermarket) 125 g corn syrup
Weight the syrups and blend in saucepan.
Heat over low flame, stirring until mixture boils. Add a drop or two of anti-foam to prevent foaming.
Monitor the boiling temperature with the thermometer and let the syrup boil undisturbed until the temperature reaches 280ºF, lower heat for the final stage.
When the temperature reaches 300ºF, remove from heat and allow to stand until all the bubbles have disappeared.
Pour into molds, insert sticks after initial cooling (for proper placing)
Once cooled, package in air-tight bags to avoid moisture absorption from the environment.
Formulation and preparation of 100% Maple with Inverted Maple Syrup – 500 g batch
90% Medium Amber Maple syrup 450 g maple syrup
10% inverted maple syrup 50 g inverted maple syrup
To prepare inverted maple syrup add 0.2% of Invertase enzyme to the syrup (available form baking suppliers), mix well and keep at 122ºF for 24 hours.
Weight the syrups and blend in saucepan.
Heat over low flame, stirring until mixture boils. Add a drop or two of anti-foam to prevent foaming.
Monitor the boiling temperature with the thermometer and let the syrup boil undisturbed until the temperature reaches 305ºF, lower heat for the final stage.
When the temperature reaches 305 to 315ºF (depending on syrup type and local conditions), remove from heat and allow to stand until all the bubbles have disappeared.
Pour into molds, insert sticks after initial cooling (for proper placing)
Once cooled, package in air-tight bags to avoid moisture absorption from the environment.
Final candy should be clear and brittle, not sticky – If the color is too dark, try boiling rapidly to the final temperature and add the inverted syrup at the end of the boil instead of at the begin-ning.
Serving size is one lollipop of approximately 15 g or several hard candies to match 15 g.

TheMapleMoose
11-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Where can I get the molds for the small leaf drops?

NH Maplemaker
11-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Bascoms has them!

wiam
11-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Any maple supplier should be able to get them for you. This is the company that makes them. http://www.voorheesrubber.com/price.html

Moser's Maple
11-05-2013, 09:03 PM
ummm you dont use rubber molds to make hard sucker like candy............actually you can't to my knowledge purchase the small leaves you see in the maple drops....those are created from the macat (sp) method which is an aluminum template that is used to create a corn strarch mold to pour the drops in. just a guess

wiam
11-05-2013, 09:13 PM
My daughter has used my rubber molds to make hard candies with no issues. She also uses plastic molds that we got from Leader for that purpose

Moser's Maple
11-05-2013, 09:21 PM
My daughter has used my rubber molds to make hard candies with no issues. She also uses plastic molds that we got from Leader for that purpose
we were talking about rubber molds......didn't mention plastic. I too use plastic to make suckers, but wouldn't think about spraying my rubber molds or pouring 280 sucker solution into a $30+ mold. just the way I was told..........if it works for you and the stuff doesn't taste like rubber then keep doing it, but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody that would ask me.

wiam
11-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Look on the website I listed in the recipes section. They cook hard candies to these temps and put in molds. But if you know more than the manufacturer.....

Moser's Maple
11-05-2013, 09:40 PM
don't know more than the manufacturer, I see they list high temps......also see they don't mention high temps make the rubber break down, just going by what others have told me

TheMapleMoose
11-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Yeah, we definately wont be using our rubber molds for hard candy. The leafs in our rubber molds are also bigger than the drops weve been buying so thats what led me to believe there was a different mold for them. I was wondering if anyone had, or knew of a place one could buy, the plastic hard candy molds for the little leafs (leaves?)

red maples
03-22-2015, 08:05 AM
Looking through at candy tips. I am doing it for the first time. if you cool the mixture to about 245*F you can pour it into the rubber molds and fill them 1/2 way and its a decient size and doesn' taste like rubber you just have to work quickly so the sugar doesn't set up too quickly. They must use the Cornstarch method for the hard candies.

morningstarfarm
03-22-2015, 04:11 PM
Tried making them in the plastic molds from bascoms last night...obviously I was supposed to spray them or oil them or something because all I have left is a bowl of shattered pieces...help!