PDA

View Full Version : Scrap metal market gone FLAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce L
05-11-2013, 08:20 PM
My wife and I loaded up the pickup, spent hours cleaning up the yard, took a 5 gallon pail full of old nails from old boards burnt in the arch, steel strapping from bundles of slabs years ago, etc, we had the truck loaded as much as I dare without fear of metal falling off on the road. $30.00 in gas into the truck,1/2 hour drive to the scrap metal yard, went over the scales, emptied then back over the scales, 120 lbs of metal, went to the office, payout $7.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least thieves should figure it is not worth the effort to steal pans now.

slammer3364
05-11-2013, 11:29 PM
The most it has been around here was 215 a ton for tin,getting about 195 a ton now.

heus
05-12-2013, 04:56 AM
No offense but 120 lbs of steel is not that much. Guys around here that make any money from scrap metal take in several tons at a time.

maple flats
05-12-2013, 05:27 AM
Yes, your price received was not all that bad. You just need to haul more weight at a time. Times were when the type of metal you refer to only paid a penny a pound, and not all that long ago. While the per ton price has fallen a little, it is still attracting lots of scrap. The tin market was seldom good, at times the scrap yard wouldn't even pay for tin (like old strapping). Next time package your scrap better, get some real weight and go again. Thieves are not steeling tin, they know what fetches higher prices, they steal SS, copper, short steel and other more valuable metals. Don't think for a moment your valuables are safe because you only got $7 for your efforts. I'll bet your wife was real glad to see the cleanup and that should be worth more than the $30 you put in the tank. Besides, I'm guessing you did not burn the whole tank full of gas going round trip.
Sorry to rain on your parade, but just trying to be realistic.
Dave

spencer11
05-12-2013, 06:19 AM
When we cleaned up the race shop we brought I think 5-600 pounds of steal and some aluminum and got $148, brought a smaller load in the morning before that one and got $98, so your price doesn't seem bad

regor0
05-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Spencer,
What do you race? Used to race quite a bit myself before kids. In fact I have a new dirt late model I was going to race this summer, before I blew all my money on maple supplies.
Would be interested in updates.

waysidemaple
05-12-2013, 01:37 PM
Took a load the other day and they were paying 8 dollars a hundred. Walked out with 108 bucks

Scott

jmayerl
05-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Only have gone to a scrap yard once, and that was to take a load of copper in for a buddy, nice check, 700lbs of BBcopper. I could never justify the time to take in iron. Just put it on the curb for spring and fall cleanup week.

spencer11
05-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Spencer,
What do you race? Used to race quite a bit myself before kids. In fact I have a new dirt late model I was going to race this summer, before I blew all my money on maple supplies.
Would be interested in updates.
It's my friend that drives, me and his dad do all the work on the car. We have a pro stock or super late model(same exact thing, different name)

We will probably keep the website updated this year

http://austinbrehioracing.com/

twobears1224
05-13-2013, 09:58 PM
last weekend i took in 2.5 tons of heavy mixed steel in one load..i got $209 a ton

PerryW
05-13-2013, 10:32 PM
The local scrapyard pays 5 cents a pound, but you can throw a whole fridge, lawnmower or other appliance in without stripping out the plastic and other non-steel.