PDA

View Full Version : starting over- cross flow or reverse flow with same side

tuckermtn
05-08-2013, 08:01 PM
I am looking at new pans for next season. If you have boiled on both cross flow and reverseable (with same side draw-off option) pans, which would you choose?
I would be getting a third cross-flow pan to rotate through.

right now thinking of 5.5 ft flu pan and two 30"x 15" front cross-flow pans. Or 5.5 flu and one 30 x 30" reverseable pan (with three front channels and one long back channel) with same-side draw off plumbing.

I don't know if this is a Ford vs. Chevy thing, but looking for pros and cons of each.

thanks- Eric

steam maker
05-08-2013, 08:28 PM
I have 4 by 12 cdl cross flow and love it , i would highly recomend cross flow. Once u get the pan rotating down its a breeze

lpakiz
05-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Eric,
Have you considered a longer flue pan? I have a 2X10 setup. It is 8 feet of flue pan and a 2X2 cross-flow 3-channel rotatable syrup pan. I was concerned that there would not be enough syrup pan, but it works fine. Increasing the ratio of flue pan to syrup pan translates into more GPH. Incidentally, I made 260 gallons of syrup and only rinsed out the syrup pan 3 times, just to make sure there was no problems developing on the bottom of the pan. At the end, there is just a little light "varnish" on the bottom of the syrup pan. Never did have to acid it or even rotate it.

jrmaple
05-08-2013, 09:08 PM
I have two 24"x18" cross flow pans on my 2x8 and I love the simplicity of being able to switch them even mid boil and just to take them right off the arch after each boil to clean them, in my opinion I think they are easier to take care of and clean and also safer because if you are ever close to burning the pan, you can disconnect then lift it right off.

Thompson's Tree Farm
05-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Eric,
I learned to boil on a reverse flow and boiled on it for almost 40 years. Four years ago I got a new front pan and was pushed by several people whose opinion I respect, towards cross flow pans. I got the third one so I can change them out daily. Long answer short...I would not go back!
Doug

wiam
05-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Eric,
Have you considered a longer flue pan? I have a 2X10 setup. It is 8 feet of flue pan and a 2X2 cross-flow 3-channel rotatable syrup pan. I was concerned that there would not be enough syrup pan, but it works fine. Increasing the ratio of flue pan to syrup pan translates into more GPH. Incidentally, I made 260 gallons of syrup and only rinsed out the syrup pan 3 times, just to make sure there was no problems developing on the bottom of the pan. At the end, there is just a little light "varnish" on the bottom of the syrup pan. Never did have to acid it or even rotate it.

I do not think 2' of front pan would be enough on a 2X8 when boiling concentrate.

lpakiz
05-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Wiam,
The setup was actually 8 feet of drop flue with 2 feet of syrup pan, for a total of 10 feet. As you said, it might not be enough with concentrate, but it sure worked good with 2.5 sap.

killingworthmaple
05-13-2013, 05:56 AM
I am looking to purchase a new 2x6 evaporator and I have the same question cross or reverse with same side reverse option please keep the replys coming please. The other question is weather to go raised or drop flue?

Nathan

wiam
05-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Wiam,
The setup was actually 8 feet of drop flue with 2 feet of syrup pan, for a total of 10 feet. As you said, it might not be enough with concentrate, but it sure worked good with 2.5 sap.

I was just pointing that out because I know Eric has an RO. I am sure that it works well with raw sap

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-13-2013, 08:10 PM
raised flue, I like the idea of being able to control the depth of both pans. All the manufacturers told me you get about 30% more evap rate out of raised than drop. I really like the revolution reversing pan, but I wouldnt rule out a cross flow. I priced every ones pans at swanton, they all were with in 3 to 5 hundred.

PerryW
05-13-2013, 10:37 PM
I like a raised flue so you can run the back pan shallow and the front pan deeper (separate floats). Leveling the evaporator is also less of an issue on a raised flue and raised flues are less likely to get damaged by throwing the wood in too far.

Never used a cross flow, but I reverse the flow on every boil and never clean my front pan midseason unless I expect to make well over 100 gallons.

markcasper
05-14-2013, 02:51 AM
I boiled on a drop flue for 15 years and i went with a raised flue pan this past season. As much as I thought I wouldn't say it, I think I like the raised better. I used to sit and watch sap go backwards from the front pan back into the flue pan. With a raised, once it drops into the front pan, it can't go back in the flue pan which makes it darker.
I never cleaned the front pan once, but I do switch sides every 75 gallons, or every startup, whichever comes first. I do have to, everyday, put a glove on and pluck as much loose floating scale out of the front pan. There is always quite a bit boiling concentrate. This is with a standard reverse flow.
As far as the raised flue boiling more, I don't think 30% more is accurate. It seamed to boil about the same GPH.