PDA

View Full Version : Grant anyone? Sap n School

Bugsmudbooksandsticks
05-08-2013, 08:35 AM
We had a great first year being a part of Maine Maple Sunday, my kindergarten class did an excellent job of making 11 gallons and hosting the event. I was wondering if anyone has any information on a Grant or donation that may be available for a non-profit school. We are hoping to have an evaporator and sugar shack before next years season. any information would be helpful or point me in the right direction. We have a parent that is willing to weld an evaporator for us but what is the best way to go about this? Here is a recap of our SAP N SCHOOL PROGRAM. http://www.bugsmudbooksandsticks.com/2013/04/so-full-of-sap.html

Thanks,
Todd
www.bugsmudbooksandsticks.com
The Riley School, Glen Cove Maine

gmcooper
05-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Looks like you certainly had a successfull maple season! Always nice to see some hands on agricultural education in the schools. It would certainly good for you to have proper equipment and setup for your maple operation. Earlier this year I donated most of my surplus buckets, covers and spiles to a couple schools doing similar but new maple projects. Hoping a few producers on here might be able to help out with some items for you. Getting a good evaporator is going to be a little tougher. I would suggest getting a letter out to maple organizations as well as maple equipment dealers. I am on the board of Maine Maple Producers Association. It wouldn't hurt to send them a request with a discription of your growing program. I don't know whether they will be able to help or not. Also June 13-15 is Maine Maple Mania event in Jackman, ME. Most of the major maple equipment manufacturers will have displays at the event. A school educating students and the public might get some support from the manufacturers and dealers as it is in all of our best interest to have maple syrup demostrations done with the right equipment.

Revi
05-10-2013, 07:45 AM
Great to hear about maple syruping in schools! Our middle school did it this year and it was a big success. I teach at the high school, and have a small maple operation, and I was a little jealous that they got to do it during school. They are closer to the trees, so c'est la vie.

Bugsmudbooksandsticks
05-14-2013, 06:38 AM
Thanks so much for responding and giving me pointers. I will take those suggestions and hope for the best. I have found that having this as part of our program is so great on many levels....there are so many aspects of learning and experimenting involved in the process. Once school is out I can dedicate more time to improving the program,

Thank You