PDA

View Full Version : set up questions

Brad W Wi
09-20-2006, 08:14 AM
I've got my 2x8 the other week, and am getting ready to set it up. Now a few questions to start with.

#1 I will be just firebricking with full size bricks. I had one person tell me that you don't need to mortar the bricks in just set them on top of each other. The reason being that the mortar will not hold to the stainless sides? I feel that there should be motar. IDEAS??????

#2 I'm going to be raising the unit on solid cement block. when I fire brick the unit should I fire brick the solid block as well??

#3 One last question for today. My evaporator came with a 10" stainlees steel stove pipe and I'm concerned and wondering about the amount of heat coming off the stove pipe, this is just single walled pipe. I have no ceiling in the room that it is in and perlins with a metal roof above the trusses. should I get a class "A" chimney, run the pipe that came with it or what??????

mountainvan
09-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Hi Brad,#1 I did not mortar my brick, it's done fine in 5 years. I did cut the first course of bricks to the angle that the grates and wall make so that they lay flush on the grates and on the wall. I would recommend you install arch board between the metal and brick for added insulation, this will also help keep the stainless sides looking good.. You can get it from Bascoms easily. Also if the top layer of bricks are not flush on the rail, get some ceramic insulation to fill the gap. Ceramic under the flue pan is also a good idea. The arch to rail gasket is best between the rail and the pans and between the flue pan and front pan. Insulating the arch well now will make it boil better for years to come. #2 Unless your mking the fire next to the cement I don't see a need to brick them. #3 You should have gotten a roof jack with the pipe that is 14" or so in diameter so that there is air space between the hot pipe and roofing material, and then keep wood from touching the 14" pipe. If not the metalbestos pipe may be the way to go. Good luck. van

forester1
09-20-2006, 02:32 PM
1. I mortered the bricks to each other, not the metal. A thin coat of refractory morter. Also I think arch board is a good idea. It will prolong the life of the arch and make the unit more efficient, but it will work without it.
2. I raised mine on blocks and bricked under the grates. I had a bunch of free firebrick though. Probably not necessary.
3. Wood should be far from the stack as possible and have an extinguisher nearby. Maybe you could put arch board or ceramic blanket on the wood near the stack to block heat.