PDA

View Full Version : Filter press by Daryl

stephen wheeler
05-05-2013, 08:46 PM
This was our 4th year making syrup. We decided to invest in a press. After using a variety of paper, cloth and wool filters, letting the syrup settle out, and any other method we could find - we finally said "Uncle".
We had so much fun using the press this year- no waiting for drips, no aggravations, no waste, and the syrup came out sparkling clear.
We also found we were able to bottle right off the press. We used copper tubing with elbows and a ball valve "shut off" to accomodate our bottles. We put about half a gallon of boiling syrup through the press to get everything hot. We had the bottles boiling in a seperate pot - then we removed them as needed and filled the bottles directly from the press. The syrup went into the bottles at around 195 degrees.
I am sure there are many fine presses available, but we can surely recommend the press by Daryl. Can't wait to use it next year. We finished 12 gallons this year. Have a great summer everyone. Steve

Dennis H.
05-05-2013, 11:16 PM
It is an impressive little filter press, I have had one now for 2 yrs. I look back now and can't figure out how I ever filtered syrup before I had the press.

vernon
05-06-2013, 03:07 AM
Our first year with one of Daryl's filter press's.Can't say enough good things about it. Made 75 gallons and never had a problem making purfectly clear syrup.Thanks Daryl.

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-06-2013, 04:44 AM
whats his cost on one of those? I think they used to be around 600. Im pretty sure he doesnt come to this site any more.

Daryl
05-06-2013, 05:24 AM
I look at the site most days, sometimes don't sign on.
The press is 800.00 and also includes shipping in the US. Photos are on the classifieds.
If you would like more info, Send a PM with a phone # and I will call to answer any questions.
Daryl

lastwoodsman
05-06-2013, 06:06 AM
This was my first year with it and is certainly is easy to use. Much less hassle than using cone filters and no comparison in the finished product.

Tip: The incoming hose kept curling from its time on the roll in the store. I took a 12 inch piece of 1/2 inch copper water pipe and pushed it into the end of the hose. It hangs perfectly at the bottom of the hot syrup drawing every drop out of the container.

Great product

Woodsman.

Dennis H.
05-06-2013, 08:23 AM
Ah yeah the curling hose problem.
I placed my hose in a bucket of really hot water for about 5 minutes and the tied one end to something then pulled it tight and tied the other end off to something else. Let it like that for awhile and vola nice and straight.
It will get straight on it's own as you use it but it can be a real pain until then.

mapleack
05-07-2013, 09:38 AM
I used to use the clear braided hose, it's a real pain. I switched to NorpreneŽ Hot Food & Beverage Tubing, from US plastics. It goes where you want it, no curl.