PDA

View Full Version : Designing my new sugarhouse addition

maple flats
05-05-2013, 12:52 PM
I've been planning in concept an addition to my sugarhouse for a few years. I think this is the year for it to materialize. I got some measurements at the sugarhouse this morning and then came home to draw it up. I'm planning on an addition, basically kitchen, extending 12 off the west side of my existing 16 x 24 sugarhouse, with an extra 6' length on the north end for a bathroom and R.O. room. Then off the west side of this will be a separate cellar for cold storage. The cellar will have a freight elevator to lower and raise barrels and a stairway beside it. I will super insulate the cellar to a couple of feet below grade to keep the summer heat out and I will have a cold cellar air design, with air inlets and exits for hi and low to help regulate the temperature. I'm thinking I might be able to keep the temperature down to 55 max. If that does not happen I might add a coolbot link: http://www.storeitcold.com/ which runs a room air conditioner to get to lower temperatures. In this cold storage I'll have shelves up higher for jugs and bottles but keep the floor open for barrels. I figure I could store as much product as I'll ever sell from one season to the next and still have syrup on my shelves to start the season. I will not however try to bottle large amounts ahead.
I plan the bathroom to be a composting toilet and the sink will be using permeate water.
Contrary to in the original sugarhouse, the new will have floor drains, the walls will be washable, insulated and entirely finished off.
Once I get started I'll begin to post some pictures.

PerryFamily
05-05-2013, 04:19 PM
I too am putting an addition on this summer, 8 x 12.
After my having my RO in a sepreate out building this year I want to get it in the sugarhouse. Not only was it a pain in the butt, heating the space was also a pain in my wallet. Hoping to insulate with spray foam and use a washable product on the walls as well. Maybe even a hot water heater.

western mainer
05-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Have fun adding on, always need more room. We are also adding on 14X20. We have been sawing lumber this week.
Brian

maple flats
05-06-2013, 04:47 AM
I'm just getting the design down so I can make a lumber list. Then I'll drop some Hemlocks and cut the lumber. I'll try to salvage the board and batten from the wall being pushed out and will start using that on the part of the addition that shows as people drive in so it doesn't look as much like an addition. I don't mind them realizing I put an addition on, I just don't want the "sore thumb" look.

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-06-2013, 05:04 AM
Check out your state sugar assoc. see if any new laws in the future are going to start popping up. Like in the Maple news for the month of March VT is looking at a cert. program. On page 34 and 35 are the certs. that we will have to start to meet. Looking ahead to this fun stuff.