PDA

View Full Version : Flex seal??

Moser's Maple
05-03-2013, 09:52 PM
now I know we have all saw the commerical how this stuff can fix a gutter, and make a screen door water proof on the bottom of the canoe. So just wondering as we battle leaks in our main lines during the season if this stuff could work??? I know it worked great on my rubber boots that I wear for work.... sprayed them a year ago and been in every thing from concrete to cow crap and they still don't leak. I see now rustolleuom has come out with their version and you can get it in black, white, and clear. so was wondering when walking the line and you have this 1 stubborn leak you can't seem to get.....just spray the fitting, or coupler on the outside..............or you go to fix a saddle and don't have the gasket, or you're out of saddles....just spray it
Just looking for thoughts here
oh and where has Don Jr. disappeared too??????

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-04-2013, 05:17 AM
I too have the same issues im sure like all sugar makers. I know the first question would be is it food grade or ok to be in contact if it were to be with sap.
if you spray the section with the vacuum off so it doesnt get sucked inside where it would come in contact with the sap

pretty cool stuff just watched a demo of it

maple flats
05-04-2013, 05:43 AM
Do not try that. There is no way Flex Seal is food grade and it's even likely has hazardous components to it. You could possibly contaminate your whole season's crop.

Moser's Maple
05-04-2013, 05:59 AM
maybe I explained poorly...... this would not be put inside......rather it would be applied on the outside of the tubing...... using it no different than what some producers I heard using duct tape to try t combat a stubborn leak. or when you get leak you cant fix......shut down spray on outside let dry......turn things back on........or when set up in pre season to spray couplers, t's, manifold parts to make sure no leaks will occur

wiam
05-04-2013, 06:48 AM
I would be very concerned about contamination. Why not just fix properly?

Moser's Maple
05-04-2013, 06:54 AM
yeah I was just throwing out one of those before midnight ideas while watching infomercials lastnight...... just want to see if I was off my rocker, or had the next "great" solution......guess I should have known that latenight+being tired+infomercials= bad ideas

lpakiz
05-04-2013, 07:07 AM
But jake, good ideas come at the same time and in the same way. How could you know difference?
Many times I have gone to bed thinking about a problem and woke up with some great solutions. ( and some dumb ones too). If you can stand the critiques, many here will be only too happy to point out the difference!!

sirsapsalot
05-04-2013, 11:54 AM
oh and where has Don Jr. disappeared too??????

I was wondering the same thing ???????

Bruce L
05-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Jake,I purchased a can of the white flex seal at Walmart,was thinking of using for the same thing,leaking saddles,maybe Dr. Tim could chime in here about possible contamination issues?If the stuff doesn't continue to bleed after it dries,I would have thought it would be okay to be sprayed on the saddles so air doesn't get in when the vacuum is on same as the water got out when we were backwashing.