PDA

View Full Version : product liability insurance

doocat
09-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Does anyone have product liability insurance? If so where do you get it for a decent price? Maybe a farm policy!

I have a store that requires it and was curious.

Thanks for the input

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-19-2006, 07:00 PM
I have a farm policy thru Farm family. It costs me just over $ 1000 per year. I have 1/2 million in liability which covers my house, my sugarhouse 1/2 hour away. I have 140,000 on house, 70,000 on contents, $ 15,000 on tractor, $ 15000 on sugarhouse, $ 8500 on maple equipment. I also have other endorsements such as employee coverage which would cover even volunteer help if someone gets hurt, etc. The liability covers, tractor, property, equipment, sugarhouse, products and house. This is a all inclusive policy which includes fires, etc. It is called a SFP 10 package which stands for Special Farm Package. I think Farm Family is fairly big up north and is a good company as they are basey in Albany, NY.

mountainvan
09-20-2006, 08:25 AM
I have just product liability through the hartford, farmers markets require it here. $350/year for 4 million aggregate and 2 million injury. Markets closer to nyc require more insurance, people down there are sue happy.

Fred Henderson
09-20-2006, 12:01 PM
NY is the most sue happy state in the union. :D

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-20-2006, 08:19 PM
Its bad here or worse, but of course if they keep electing broomstick travelers like Billary and Chuckie, well................... :mrgreen: :twisted:

brookledge
09-20-2006, 09:30 PM
I have it. I just went to my ins.agent years ago and told him what I wanted. He switched me from a homeowners to a farmowners policy
Keith

doocat
09-21-2006, 06:59 PM
thanks, I'll look into the farm policy.

maple flats
09-23-2006, 08:06 PM
I recently added it thru Farm Family, affiliated with NY farm bureau. I got a quote from them when my previous insurance sent me a premium increase notice which was quite substancial. After getting the quote I ended up dropping all my other insurances that same day and converted immediately, saving over $1000/yr on everything combined, even after raising many coverages. I now insure my home, 3 rental duplexes, my blueberry u-pick opperation, my sugar house, maple equipment, unschedule equipment, all farm equipment and product liability, farm liability, and my 3 vehicles and if they remain as good in their rates as they proved compared with others and assuming their coverage is dependable when needed they will keep my business.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-23-2006, 10:22 PM
Maple flats,

They are very dependable when it comes to claims as I handled claims for them for several years. Very good company in my opinion due to the numerous claims I handled for them.

maplehound
09-25-2006, 01:11 PM
I have a special farm use added to my home policy through Erie. They tell me I have some product liability with that. Altough it only covers me not the stores I put it in. This is what most of your stores want. So you may need to add a also covered clause to your policy. and include all stores you sell in. I was told that would be very expensive, so I don't have that. I was also told that if I ever had a claim on the product that they would cover me then drop my policy. :? I wish they could come up with something for all sugar makers. I have suggested this to our Ohio Maple Producers Organization but so far they are unable to come up eith anything.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-25-2006, 08:19 PM
Ron,

Just from working in insurance for years, I would look into something else if you are concerned. You are treading on thin water with the type of policy you have because they may not cover what you think they will if it ever arose. I had Erie and had to switch to Farm Family because they aren't too interested in really anything but the homeowner's poilcy and usually the agent will tell you exactly what you want to hear and a lot of time it is not correct :cry: . Nationwide owns a farm company and may want to check with them. :)

maplehound
09-26-2006, 02:54 PM
I might check with Nationwide. i was with Farmers National and they droped me when they found out that I was running a business from home. Even though at the time I considered it a hobby.
Ron

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-26-2006, 04:18 PM
Should be a Farm Family agent somewhere in that area too. :?

Sugarmaker
09-26-2006, 08:45 PM
I had Nationwide and went to Erie insurance. Rates quote by Nationwide were way to much for liability coverage. Eire Ins was much more reasonable. Go figure.

Regards,
Chris