PDA

View Full Version : Labeling Guidelines

RUSTYBUCKET
05-01-2013, 03:38 PM
From a US perspective, does anyone know if there are any fed/state rules concerning the sale of syrup that has been imported from another state. For example, a bulk buyer from (pick a state) buys syrup produced in another state but labels/sells it as a product of their state ?

Thanks

- Russ

GeneralStark
05-01-2013, 04:20 PM
From a US perspective, does anyone know if there are any fed/state rules concerning the sale of syrup that has been imported from another state. For example, a bulk buyer from (pick a state) buys syrup produced in another state but labels/sells it as a product of their state ?

Thanks

- Russ

I think generally this falls under state jurisdiction and probably depends upon the state. In VT, you can not label syrup as "VT Syrup" unless it is produced in VT. That said, I believe there may be some instances where producers tap trees in VT but truck the sap and process it in other states and can call it VT Syrup.

wiam
05-01-2013, 04:40 PM
That is not my understanding. There is a local guy that most of his taps are in VT. He boils in NH and has to call it NH

DrTimPerkins
05-01-2013, 05:15 PM
I think generally this falls under state jurisdiction and probably depends upon the state. In VT, you can not label syrup as "VT Syrup" unless it is produced in VT. That said, I believe there may be some instances where producers tap trees in VT but truck the sap and process it in other states and can call it VT Syrup.

It would depend upon the state regulations mostly. For syrup to be called "Vermont Maple Syrup", it has to be from sap collected and processed in VT. I believe that in a very limited number of cases it can derive from (some) trees across the border (typically in NY), but only if the sap pipeline or buckets are across the border and the sap is brought into VT and then processed in VT.