PDA

View Full Version : Model ID and specs for Alamo

MapleHillSugarBush
05-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Can any one help me identify the model and find the rating for a Surge Alamo pump? There is no model identified on the pump label it just says "Surge Alamo" and serial number -21993

mapleack
05-01-2013, 11:49 AM
The serial number doesn't tell you, the width of the pump head and the motor does. 4.5 inch wide alamo heads are in the 15 to 40 range and 8.5 inch wide heads are in the 50 to 100 range. A 15 and a 40 are the same pump head, but the 40 would have a larger motor spinning the pump faster.

MapleHillSugarBush
05-05-2013, 10:56 PM
Thanks for your help Andy. I have a 4.5 wide head. Do you know how fast I can spin it with a 3hp motor?

Mark Spinler
Maple Hill Sugar Bush

maple flats
05-06-2013, 04:38 AM
When I bought my smaller pump it had a 3 HP motor. It was to spin at about 700 rpm. I then sold the motor and put on a Honda to spin about the same RPM. I think someone told me at the time that 700 RPM will give about 30 CFM.

Justdb
05-06-2013, 08:59 PM
Does anyone know a simple way to valve the oil recovery tank on a surge alamo 75+ to automatically recirculate t.he oil back to the pump? Could the recovery tank be tapped and directly be directly be fed back to the pump through the oil fill? Would an oil cooler between be a good idea? Thanks for any ideas. Dennis

maple flats
05-07-2013, 04:30 AM
If you have the Alamo oil reclaimer, it is already running back to the pump. The 2 small tubes that go to the beating caps return the oil. If that tube has no large body you have the original Alamo oiler. Inside that is a wire. To get more oil to keep the pump better lubed for higher vacuum, just break the wire. The shorter that is the more oil that enters the bearing. I say break, not cut, cutting with wire cutters of any type leave a burr that hampers the operation. The second way is to get after market oilers. These are available from a few supply houses such as McMaster Carr, or Graingers. These oilers are adjustable for flow rate. If your Alamo has a large square body (1"?) it may already be adjustable. Try to figure it out. If you can get enough oil to it the Alamo's can go up to maybe 22" and some go to even 24". Getting enough oil to it is key. Without any changes you are only good for about 17 maybe 18" as these were designed to run at 15". The higher the vacuum level, the less dense the air flowing thru the pump head to cool it. This heat is the enemy.

Justdb
05-07-2013, 09:44 AM
I am a real novice at this, but here's my situation. I understand the vane pump and how it works. When I got this pump there was no oil visible in the oil level observation window. I made the mistake of removing the band between the bottom container and the top when immediately dumped what looked like a gallon of oil on the ground. Is there something plugged that would cause the oil to be retained in the upper recovery tank. am I understanding that the scavaged oil should find its way back to the bottom container with the hour glass drip system coming from it? s there a filter to clean the oil after it is captured in the upper tank? Sorry to sound naieve but literature seems hard to find. Thanks for your assistance Dennis