PDA

View Full Version : New to filter press

tonka
04-29-2013, 08:36 PM
I just filtered about 25 gallons of syrup (I love filtering now) and after I was done with the 25 gallons I ran through about 4 gallons of HOT water, can I heat up the press tomorrow morning and keep on filtering more syrup (another 20 gallons) or do I need to put new filter papers and filter aid in and start fresh?

jmayerl
04-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Once it cools or plugs you need to start over wih new paper and de.

mrnorthshore
05-10-2013, 06:40 AM
You can just run hot water(boiling) through it again, and wait for the press to warm up. My 7" full bank takes about 10-15 min to rewarm up. But its better then having to clean it up and repaper it.

DrTimPerkins
05-10-2013, 06:47 AM
You can just run hot water(boiling) through it again, and wait for the press to warm up.

Depending upon the size and hold-up volume of your press and the amount of syrup you are filtering, if you use this procedures, then just check to be sure your syrup density is correct afterward. If you filter a small amount of syrup, you could introduce water, diluting the syrup below acceptable density.

lpakiz
05-10-2013, 07:10 AM
I did just that yesterday AM, but I used a 500 watt halogen light against the press before I even started heating the first batch. Probably had it on for an hour total. I did not rinse it with water the previous evening, just shut off and walked away. It went slow for a minute, then picked up right where it left off, speed-wise, right where it left off the night before. Usually I try to figure it so that the press is due for a breakdown and cleaning on the last batch at night. I have an air-diaphragm pump on one of Daryl's 5 inch presses. It takes a 12 ounce cool whip container of DE to completely fill the 5-plate press. I measure this out when I start with a clean press, and add DE to each 10-gallon batch, as much as I think I need to get that batch thru. Real clean, settled out syrup, 30 gallons total, but I might try to go for 40. This would mean using one-fourth of the container for each batch. When all 12 ounces of DE is in the press, it is plugged full and there is hardly any syrup left in the press. The cakes come out dry.

maple flats
05-10-2013, 11:11 AM
I restart often in season if I feel the press is not very full. Usually it works, sometimes not. I get the next batch ready and have it between 210-215 degrees, mix the FA and blend by returning bypass hose to the mix tank. Then I open the valve to filter and slowly close the bypass valve until I hit 40 psi. I let this run for a few minutes. If a flow starts out the filter discharge hose I keep going if nothing flows in about 5 minutes I increase to 45 PSI and do another 5 min. If still no flow I shut down and change the papers. If flow does start, it is usually very slow. I let it run and return the filtered syrup to the mix tank. Sometimes it will take up to 10 minutes before the temperature of the discharge starts to climb. As it does, the pressure lowers a little at a time and I close the bypass more to hold the 40-45PSI. If you get to the point where the temperature does rise from the discharge it will usually open good in a few minutes. I seem to only get good results if the filter press has set for 24 hrs max. I do not add water. I have never blown papers doing this. If in the beginning I feel the papers are about half full, I'll even go to 50 PSI. I've not tried higher. While I'm doing this I make sure that the rest of the batch needing filtering remains good and hot. This first batch loses considerable temperature in warming the press.
By the way, my press is a 5 bank 7" press, but I did it with 3 bank too before adding 2 more sets of plates. If I think the filter is over half full I just change the papers and start fresh.