PDA

View Full Version : Final batch still cloudy

notacarpenter
04-29-2013, 06:29 PM
I have had five boils, four of which filtering was a breeze (1-2 gallons syrup from each boil). The final and largest batch, the result was cloudy. I refiltered two more times, the last time even with new filters, and I made sure the temp was between 185-190, but still ended up with semi-transparent. There is sediment forming at bottom, guessing it's niter, but i had a simular problem last year and waited about a month for cloudiness to settle, after which I poured off the clear stuff and refiltered (what a waste of syrup re-filtering). After that, all was well. This year it's taking longer for cloudiness to settle, and at this point I don't even know for sure whether or not it's niter anymore. Could it be something else?? I am small-time back yard sugarer and only reap about 10 gallons syrup a year, but I thought I was getting the knack of the filtering problem, and I'm getting picky with the clarity.:(

GramaCindy
04-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Hello notacarpenter, I too had the same problem. I dumped my finished syrup off of the turkey fryer, (for finishing only) into the orlon filter and two prefilters, into my coffee urn. It was cloudy immediately so I dumped it back into the TF, again filtering. and back into the coffee urn, filtering. Stayed cloudy. I knew it was time to be done when this happened. It is good syrup, just cloudy, so we will use this for the family.

maple flats
04-30-2013, 05:06 AM
My final batch also needed extra care. Normally I use 1 cup Filter Aid (FA) per 6 gal going thru the filter press. On my last batch it plugged the press in about 10 seconds. I put in new papers and tripled the FA, mission accomplished. For those not on a filter press I suggest you find a local producer who will give or sell you a few cups of FA. Then mix it in the HOT syrup and pour it into your normal layered orlon and pre filters. The syrup will then come clear, crystal clear. Using the FA, the FA is the filter agent, one of the best if not the best in the world. The FA will not pass through the orlon and will never be in the finished syrup. Make sure you use food grade and not pool diatomacious earth. You will then likely start mixing FA in all the time for better filtering. notacarpenter, mix in 1 cup FA for your 2 gal batch. That is really more than you need, but it will work perfectly. Small producers will need to get FA thru a larger producer since as far as I know, it only comes in 40-50# bags and that would last a small producer more than a lifetime.

notacarpenter
04-30-2013, 07:09 AM
Is it okay to use the FA without a filter press? Some maple supply companies discourage the additive without the press, although a local producer recommended trying the same thing.

maple flats
04-30-2013, 12:23 PM
I have never heard it should not be used without a filter press. I'm just going by those who do it regularly. I suppose this should be checked with Dr. Tim Perkins for his take.