PDA

View Full Version : Bubbler for evaporator

philkasza
04-29-2013, 05:57 AM
We have a 5X12 Evap. and were wondering if we would get a better boil rate if we put bubblers in the flue pan. Any one had experience with this? and how do we make them?

Thanks alot Samuel

DrTimPerkins
04-29-2013, 06:14 AM
Air injection will not increase the evaporation rate (may actually depress it a little bit).

Russell Lampron
04-30-2013, 05:28 AM
The main reason for installing a bubbler is to make lighter syrup. More info here > http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?20529-Bubblemaster-1.0!

TimJ
04-30-2013, 08:56 AM
I thought that was a side-effect - wasn't it to reduce sugar sand in pans - keeping it in solution until filters?

DrTimPerkins
04-30-2013, 09:42 AM
No....making lighter syrup is the primary reason people use them. Although some producers report less niter in pans, research has not demonstrated that effect. The niter that is present is much lighter in color, which might be interpreted as less thick. However when measured, the thickness of scale-type niter (deposited on pans) and the amount of sugar sand produced (what is filtered out of the syrup) is the same.

See http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/air_injection.pdf for detailed information.

TimJ
05-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the explanation - I spoke only to one person who used it - he did not use it for lightening the syrup and has stopped using it.

I assume the "lighter" syrup still tastes "darker"...

Russell Lampron
05-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the explanation - I spoke only to one person who used it - he did not use it for lightening the syrup and has stopped using it.

I assume the "lighter" syrup still tastes "darker"...

The syrup still tastes like it's supposed to for the color.

jimsudz
05-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Any bubbled syrup I've ever tasted didn't taste the way the grade should. Very lite syrup with the flavor of dark.

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-01-2013, 09:14 PM
The syrup still tastes like it's supposed to for the color.
Sugar maker here made close to 900 gal fancy and the fancy towards the end didn't really have a fancy flavor. Still good but different taste

Mark
05-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Sugar maker here made close to 900 gal fancy and the fancy towards the end didn't really have a fancy flavor. Still good but different taste

Before I had a bubbler I made light amber that was buddy when it was cold and I got cool sap. This year with the cold weather and bubbler I made a lot of light amber syrup and the taste in my opinion tastes like it should according to the color. The main reason I put the bubbler in was I now use no defoamer.

Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
05-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Mark,

Did you purchase the bubbler or make it yourself. Also, do you have it in the flue pan also, or just the syrup pan?

Mark
05-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Mark,

Did you purchase the bubbler or make it yourself. Also, do you have it in the flue pan also, or just the syrup pan?

I purchased it from D&G before I was a dealer for them. It is in all pans. Each flue has one except the outside walls. The syrup pan was an extra option and I have that.