PDA

View Full Version : The sap is flowing big time 04/24/13

Cindee
04-24-2013, 12:54 PM
My husband collected 70 gals just from going out and getting the bags that were overflowing. He said he has never seen nothing like it or how fast they are running, he said they look like streams of water coming out of them. It will be interesting this evening when we go out and collect all of them. We have 80 taps and that is more than enough for us to handle. We are located in Mountain.

jmayerl
04-24-2013, 04:07 PM
How much snow on the ground yet? Were north of shawano lake and buds popped today. You are getting a run like we did 5 days ago. With the low pressure moving in, almost all the taps had steady streams for a few hours during the day.

lostrock4
04-25-2013, 11:51 AM
My husband collected 70 gals just from going out and getting the bags that were overflowing. He said he has never seen nothing like it or how fast they are running, he said they look like streams of water coming out of them. It will be interesting this evening when we go out and collect all of them. We have 80 taps and that is more than enough for us to handle. We are located in Mountain.
That's awesome!!! We are having the same problem here in Hayward 60 gallons out of 18 taps in 3 days I didn't want this much work but I'm going to enjoy it till it ends in a few days. We froze 24 degrees this morning so im sure i'll have plenty of sap today again. Enjoy, David

lostrock4
04-25-2013, 11:52 AM
P.S. We still have 12-16" of snow in the woods and I'm still collecting with the snowmobile!!!

GramaCindy
04-26-2013, 04:57 AM
Isn't it crazy? After two marathon weeks, I pulled my taps, dumping so much sap it made me sick. I was virtually out of firewood, totally exhausted, and done. Congratulations to all of us on a great year.

Merklin Maples
04-26-2013, 06:24 AM
Dumped 50 gallons of sap that had gone bad in my bulk tank. What a shame, but is my own fault. Glad I had not pumped my pickup tank in there. Got that clean again and filled with sap. I had frozen water in 1/2 gallon jugs. I took a new metal fish stringer and clipped a few jugs to it and lowered into sap and hung on the top to secure in place. Last night collected 75 gallons of sap. I am going to start pulling taps today. Going to leave the great runners in until they peter out. Don't have a final count on sap but to date have made 29 gallons of syrup from 125 taps. Solid two weeks in the saphouse has got me tired like most of you. Cleanup this weekend and back to work next week I hope.