PDA

View Full Version : quantity reduction from filtering

Woody
04-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Can anyone tell me approx. how much quantity is lost through a filter press operation. Can it be expressed as a % lost per gallon of raw syrup?

thanks,

Diesel Pro
04-23-2013, 01:34 PM
I'll take a shot at this. The answer is literally zero until the last batch. When you finish a batch you run water through and can catch the sugars to recycle into the next batch. From there it depends on how long a stack /size of press you have I guess.

Right, wrong, or otherwise, I even went so far as to add some water to the dregs at the bottom of my Carboys and ran this through eliminating all of the niter etc. I basically washed up the sticky stuff from the turkey cooker etc and saved for next run.

wiam
04-23-2013, 02:47 PM
I'll take a shot at this. The answer is literally zero until the last batch. When you finish a batch you run water through and can catch the sugars to recycle into the next batch. From there it depends on how long a stack /size of press you have I guess.

Right, wrong, or otherwise, I even went so far as to add some water to the dregs at the bottom of my Carboys and ran this through eliminating all of the niter etc. I basically washed up the sticky stuff from the turkey cooker etc and saved for next run.

I agree with this. I run a couple of gallons of condensate from the preheater through each night back into the back pan before breaking down the press.