PDA

View Full Version : Pan configuration on a 2x6

supersapper
04-20-2013, 11:03 AM
I didn't get my new homemade arch going this year so now I have time to make an unhurried decision. I was going to use my existing 2x2 undivided flat pan as a sap pan(glorified per-heater) and have a 2x4 divided pan made for my syrup pan. Will this work? Or should I have two new pans made? What would be a good configuration? I don't want to spend the money on a flue pan.flat pans will work for me. Any thoughts on this?

spencer11
04-20-2013, 12:10 PM
I would use your 2x2 pan as your syrup pan and get another 4' pan to put in the back. So then later on you could just add a 4' flue pan if you wanted to

PerryW
04-20-2013, 02:13 PM
I agree w/ spencer. Use the 2x4 as a sap and and the 2x2 as a syrup pan. Using the smaller pan as a syrup pan will allow you to get closer to syrup without scorching the pan. If you have enough sap, you may be able to finish right on the evaporator.

supersapper
04-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the input. I was thinking that I could add a few drop tubes to the 2x2 pan if I needed a stronger boil. Being there was no divider in the 2x2 I was going to use it as a pre-heater - sap pan. A flue pan would be nice but 2000.00 + is more than I can justify.

PerryW
04-22-2013, 09:45 PM
Can you put the drop tubes in the 2x4 pan?

I'm guessing that you would be boiling in batches anyway, so the lack of a divider in the 2x2 pan shouldn't make a big difference.

Burnt sap
04-23-2013, 10:11 AM
The only problem I foresee would be a boil over on the 2x2 since there is no dividers or splash lip. Unless you ran it kind of shallow like three inches from the top or so. Other than that it will work I would spend the money on a float pan and pipe them together.

jrgagne99
04-23-2013, 10:54 AM
I would install three dividers into the 2x2 flat pan to create four flow-channels. That would be a pretty cheap and effective modification to solder them into place (use lead free solder). Then you can make syrup right on the evaporator just like the big boys. You will save yourself so much effort by not having to finish "almost syrup" on turkey fryer, kitchen stove, or whatever...

Then later, maybe consider drop tubes in the back pan, or getting a bonafide flue pan.

maple flats
04-23-2013, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the input. I was thinking that I could add a few drop tubes to the 2x2 pan if I needed a stronger boil. Being there was no divider in the 2x2 I was going to use it as a pre-heater - sap pan. A flue pan would be nice but 2000.00 + is more than I can justify.
Get a flue pan quote from Thor Equipment. I had them make a custom 3x5 with 10" raised flues, an extra 4" additional height on the sides and it was only $3800 this time last year. A std 2x4 will surprise you from them. You might want drop flue so you only need 1 float box. Their price included the float box, float and the work was excellent. You have time to save if you need to. Then in the future you can either get dividers added or get a true syrup pan. Comparatively syrup pans are far less than a flue pan. If you do contact them, ask for Arnold Raymond unless you speak French. I ordered in late April 2012 and both flue pan and a syrup pan were ready in about 3 weeks. I however did not go get it until September, at Labor day weekend, go Friday, return Saturday, which proved to be a poor choice of dates. Super crowded at the border. They did excellent work. Don't rule it out before you get a quote.

supersapper
04-23-2013, 10:06 PM
I appreciate all the info on this. I have been a batch boiler for the last 5 years. 5-8 gallons/year. Way too many long boils. I am looking for 25-30 gallons of syrup so I can't justify 2000.00 + for a flue pan. I am not interested in making anymore than this. I really don't want to spend more than 600.00 for the pans I need. I know you get what you pay for but!!!!! I would also appreciate any recommendations for pan manufacturers. Thanks, Kevin

PerryW
04-23-2013, 10:29 PM
I'm guessing a 2x6 flat pan configuration would evaporate maybe 15 GPH, so that's one gallon of syrup every three hours. If you figure 25-30 gallons of syrup per season, then a typical sap run would probably involve mabe 150 gallons of sap or 10 hours boiling. That would be doable, but too long for me.

I would work on your soldering skills and install the drop tubes in the 2x4 pan and put the dividers in the front pan (as suggested) and you could probably get it up to 25-30 GPH which would make your boiling times more reasonable.

If you have the maples, you could also consider tapping more trees, which would justify an investment in a flue pan.

spencer11
04-24-2013, 07:17 AM
Look into A&A in pa, a 2x4 drop flue that should fit your arch is $886. It's soldered but you don't need to have a welded flue pan as much as you do a syrup pan, a raised flue pan the same size is about $1100 if you wanted to go raised. Then just get a couple dividers welded in the front pan and you will be all set for a while