PDA

View Full Version : Permeate to clean pans

Paul VT
04-18-2013, 08:39 PM
I had someone tell me that permeate cleans pans really well. Anyone doing it this way? I would much rather use it than acid. How long does it take? Do you heat it up after you put the permeate in?

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-19-2013, 04:21 AM
I watched Thad do that last weekend, he threw a small water pump into his permeate tank and put the hose in one side of his syrup pan. Just let it run for like 5 hrs. He would switch up the flow every once in a while and by the time I left the pan was clean. Just letting the permeate sit in the pan might take longer IDK

maple flats
04-19-2013, 04:55 AM
I've done it a few times, especially after the season. I just let it set, drain after a day, very lightly brush to see if the pan is clean. If not clean I add more and set again. I usually need 2 and sometimes 3 days. A pump would surely be better.

ennismaple
04-19-2013, 01:01 PM
I watched Thad do that last weekend, he threw a small water pump into his permeate tank and put the hose in one side of his syrup pan. Just let it run for like 5 hrs. He would switch up the flow every once in a while and by the time I left the pan was clean. Just letting the permeate sit in the pan might take longer IDK

Our plan for next year is to get 2 new, identical front pans and use the extra permeate to clean the pan that's not being used. We dump so much extra permeate over the hill and spend so much time cleaning the one front pan we have that it's a perfect combination. Once the permeate tank is full enough for membrane washing and rinsing we'll switch a valve to direct the excess permeate to the front pan that needs cleaned. This should save us a lot of time each day.

maple flats
04-19-2013, 04:25 PM
I called earlier this week for a second front pan with a similar idea. I like your idea even better, but with a twist. I see that pan washers are offered in one of the equipment catalogs. They have a cover with sprinklers in it to keep hitting the entire pan but with a pump running. I think I'll also set it up using your idea and hook it to the RO permeate discharge after the tank is full. Sounds like a winning plan to me. Thanks ennismaple.
Dave

ennismaple
04-22-2013, 12:34 PM
I called earlier this week for a second front pan with a similar idea. I like your idea even better, but with a twist. I see that pan washers are offered in one of the equipment catalogs. They have a cover with sprinklers in it to keep hitting the entire pan but with a pump running. I think I'll also set it up using your idea and hook it to the RO permeate discharge after the tank is full. Sounds like a winning plan to me. Thanks ennismaple.
Dave

Dave - Sounds like a good idea to me. My only concern would be to make sure the pan washer uses enough permeate that it doesn't cause back-pressure on the RO.

TunbridgeDave
04-29-2013, 08:59 AM
I've been using permeate in the front pan for a couple years. I drain it several times during the season and fill with perm after shut down, then re-kindle the fire to heat it up. Next morning a quick brush and it comes clean. After making a record amount of syrup this year the front pan is clean but the flue pan was a mess. Next year I'm doing the same procedure for both pans. I tried the Oakite powder in the back pan and it worked ok.

red maples
04-29-2013, 04:44 PM
someone had suggested to add something to keep the permeate or whatever your using...I use vinegar,(no RO) they used a little fish tank air pump to keep it moving through out the night and it cleaned everything right up.