PDA

View Full Version : What to do with old tubing?

Ski Bum
04-18-2013, 01:23 PM
I have sections of old tubing and I would like to dispose of it the most eco friendly way. Any suggestions??

spud
04-18-2013, 02:59 PM
Burn barrel is the only way.

Spud

spencer11
04-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Well the best way is to give it to someone who doesn't want to buy any, but I like spuds idea better lol

Thompson's Tree Farm
04-18-2013, 05:38 PM
It is recyclable

wiam
04-18-2013, 06:29 PM
Here in VT the waste management district have periodic collection for it. Seems more environmentally friendly.

briansickler
04-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Burning your old tubing is not good at all for the environment. I disagree with anyone burning old tubing. Take it to the dump or waste transfer station. They will know how to handle properly.

Brian Sickler

super sappy
04-18-2013, 06:55 PM
NY producers can call RAPP at 607-255-4765 .....VT producers can call or e mail Anne.Macmillan Vt agency of agriculture : 802 828- 3479 anne.macmillan@state.vt.us. This info was on a flyer that I picked up at the USDA office in Greenwich NY this spring -good luck -ss

jmayerl
04-19-2013, 12:21 AM

Spud
This is about the worse thing you could do, maybe a (lol) after it next time so that everyone knows your kidding and not

PerryW
04-19-2013, 06:16 AM
Much if my tubing is used. Put it on craingslist.

Asthepotthickens
04-19-2013, 06:33 AM
I have sections of old tubing and I would like to dispose of it the most eco friendly way. Any suggestions??

I use the old tubbing to wrap around the trees to secure my new lines

spencer11
04-19-2013, 10:58 AM
i would keep some of it, i have a bucket filled with small pieces of old tubing and coil up longer ones and wire tie them together till i use them. you will find some sort of use for it, so i would keep some

PerryW
04-19-2013, 12:32 PM

Spud

I prefer to compost my old tubing using a dispersed-composting methodology. (I leave it lying in the woods).

Middleton Maples
04-21-2013, 04:52 PM
save it and use it for fuel to run your evaporator next year

Asthepotthickens
04-22-2013, 05:54 AM
save it and use it for fuel to run your evaporator next year

Is that how you make smokey syrup? Toxic smokey only try it once recipe. may even get a vist from a bear.

Revi
04-22-2013, 08:23 AM
I put it in the bin with the #1 and #2 plastic at the transfer station. I think it's recycled.

Thad Blaisdell
04-22-2013, 09:09 AM

Spud

Is that what they call bio-de-meltable?

spud
04-22-2013, 09:36 PM
That's a good one Thad.

Spud

mc-vi
04-25-2013, 04:54 PM
In Quebec there is some places where they take it to recycle it. I don't know what they do with it, I never asked.

Asthepotthickens
04-25-2013, 05:02 PM
In Quebec there is some places where they take it to recycle it. I don't know what they do with it, I never asked.
They cut it into six foot sections and make skipping ropes with them

Revi
04-26-2013, 07:38 AM
Here's a place that recycles tubing. In Vermont they have a lot of it, so it makes sense:

http://www.addisoncountyrecycles.org/guide/maple-sap-tubing-recycling-program/

Homestead Maple
04-26-2013, 09:13 PM
I know of someone that had piled some near the road to pick up later and someone came along and took it. It's a thought!!

delivron
04-30-2013, 12:37 PM
NEW YORK HAS A SOLUTION
MAPLE PRODUCERS: RECYCLE OLD TUBING INTO SOMETHING NEW

The Recycling Agricultural Plastics Project (RAPP) is working with NBF Plastics in Auburn, New York to process deliveries of used maple tubing for recycling!

Producers can now deliver used tubing to the NBF facility at any time of year, whenever you are ready to recycle.

Simply follow a few preparatory steps* and send NBF Plastics an RSVP** to let them know how much material to expect, when you will deliver, and how they can contact you. NBF Plastics can accept deliveries Monday-Friday, 8a.m.-4p.m.

If an individual producer or group of producers in New York State amasses at least 8,000 lbs of recyclable tubing at one site, NBF Plastics and RAPP will work together to arrange for pickup.

Labor and equipment to load the truck must be provided.

RAPP encourages local maple producer groups to pool their used tubing in order to reach this threshold for pickup (as well as to minimize the time and cost of deliveries).

If your tubing won't be ready to recycle until next winter, you will be able to bring it to your regional maple producer meeting where it will be picked up.

Be sure to send in the RSVP prior to the regional meeting so trucking arrangements can be made.

NBF Plastics is incorporating the used tubing into a plastic plywood substitute manufactured at their plant in Auburn.

Questions? Contact RAPP at agplasticsrecycling@cornell.edu or call 607-216-7242 to reach Nate Leonard, NYS RAPP Field Coordinator.

*Basic guidelines to prepare tubing for recycling: Coil long lengths into loops about 3' in diameter, keeping the coils light enough to lift. Tie coils with baling twine, duct tape, dropline or a strip of plastic film. Do not use baler wire or other metal. Put short lengths of tubing into a large plastic bag ('tote') or Gaylord box. OK to leave plastic fittings and spouts, etc., but remove any metal connectors, clasps, supporting wires, etc. Discard PVC tubing and fittings, which RAPP cannot recycle (identify PVC with a simple sink-float test: PVC sinks while LDPE tubing floats in water). Label the coils with your name and contact info.
(Find full guidelines in Instructions for preparing maple tubing for recycling. On Facebook or access from Cornell eCommon: <http://hdl.handle.net/1813/33142>.)

** RSVP for Recycling Maple Tubing
Send the completed RSVP form by email to RSVP@nbfplastics.biz or call NBF Plastics at 877-624-2638 with the requested information.

Name(s) __________________________________________________ ___________

Phone number(s) __________________________________________________ ____

Email address(es) __________________________________________________ ___

Location where the coils and/or boxes/bags of tubing will be gathered for recycling:

Street __________________________________________________ ____________

City/Town __________________________________________________ _________

County ___________________________________ Zip Code __________________

Quantity ready for recycling
(estimate by length of tubing, number of coils and totes, and/or by weight, etc.):

__________________________________________________ __________________

Proposed delivery/pickup date ___________________________________________