PDA

View Full Version : Question on Grade B

ldick
04-18-2013, 12:00 PM
I have heard different stories on regulations regarding selling grade B maple syrup. Can anyone tell me for sure if there are any regulations in Ohio about selling grade B that are different from grade A maple syrup and if so what they are?

68bird
04-18-2013, 06:09 PM
There shouldn't be, because I and many others think it tastes better than light!

Jim Brown
04-18-2013, 07:00 PM
no regs as long as you note it as such GRADE B

heus
04-18-2013, 08:31 PM
Grade B in my opinion is by far the best tasting of all the grades of syrup!

red maples
04-19-2013, 07:36 AM
I did a quick search and all it says is that it must be graded with in the USDA standards what ever that means being its state to state at this point. I would say just use your standard grading kit and grade label accordingly. a Grade B for NH can be as dark or as red as it will go as long as there are no off flavors, burnt, buddy, etc. unless you hear otherwise then as long as your labeling it correctly and calling it grade B and there are no off flavors then I am sure you are fine. the other thing would be to contact your local Ag rep and just ask, in most cases they are there to help you get it right not to harrass you at least thats how it is in NH.

The thing with Grade B its that people people think its a less quality because its call grade B. Grade B out sells Grade A 2:1 honestly its probably one of my biggest questions that and what makes the grades. I can't wait for the new grading system to go through for the simple reason of I don't have to explain the Grade B anymore. and also with the new grading system there is no bottom end on color for what now is grade B. VT. does have a color restriction on grade B which doesn't make any sense to me, but thats just me.

I think that for pancakes etc you are putting syrup on grade B is the way to go. for staight tasting I like a medium for the good true maple flavor without the complex flavors of the darker grades. but again for eating I only use Grade B.