PDA

View Full Version : smoky lake drop flue

whalems
04-18-2013, 07:46 AM
I am about to order a 4x7 drop flue pan from smoky lake. It will have a reverse flow option and I am also getting one of his float boxes. Does anyone on this forum have one of the larger drop flue pans? How do you like it? How is the float box? Is it easily adjustable and does it hold sap level in the pan well? I have heard nothing but positive things about his work. Just trying to cover all my bases on such a large investment. Has anyone had any problems with his pans equipment. any input appreciated.

whalems
04-19-2013, 06:28 AM
Anyone??? The silence is deafaning:lol:

lafite
04-19-2013, 06:36 AM
best investment I ever made. I bought a much smaller pan but more than doubled my efficiency. I am a purist and will never get into RO so this is the max size for my operation.

sutphenj
04-19-2013, 07:39 AM
I have a smaller raised flue pan from Smokey lake and the craftsmanship and service is excellent. In terms of the floats you will have no problems keeping the sap level in the pan where you want it. Mine has a drain valve on the bottom which has come in handy for me.

fixin40
04-19-2013, 08:56 PM
My pan showed up when he said it would, I put the first scratch on it not him or the delivery guy, Jim forgot my preheater pan with the shipment, when I called him and asked where it was I was moved to the top of the list and the preheater arrive 3 days later on his dime. His pan is a thing of beauty and performs great, I am saving my pennies to buy something else form him. Very satisfied, I would not worry a bit.

Josh Nickles
04-21-2013, 12:46 PM
I am about to order a 4x7 drop flue pan from smoky lake. It will have a reverse flow option and I am also getting one of his float boxes. Does anyone on this forum have one of the larger drop flue pans? How do you like it? How is the float box? Is it easily adjustable and does it hold sap level in the pan well? I have heard nothing but positive things about his work. Just trying to cover all my bases on such a large investment. Has anyone had any problems with his pans equipment. any input appreciated.

Whalems, you will be happy with your purchase from Smoky Lake Maple Products. My pans are better then any made by any manufacturer for both efficiency and craftsmanship. I will work with Jim on every maple related purchase forever

I learned my lesson last winter. I decided to buy hoods last second and Jim and his guys at Smoky lake were too booked up to guarantee delivery for the season. So, I made the biggest mistake of my maple hobby by buying from the Amish at sunrise metal. They amaish craftsmanship is absolutely pitiful when compared to Jim's. I paid extra for their mirror finish stainless which was scratched and abused. The welds looked bad, inside and out. I had two leaks in the condensation gutters. The design was poor. I can go on and on about how BAD my experience was with sunrise, as I can go on and on about how fantastic is working with Smoky Lake.

BUY FROM SMOKY LAKE, YOU CAN'T GO WRONG!

SapZilla
04-25-2013, 08:13 AM
I agree. I've seen the amish craftsmanship from surise and the other one in pa and it is really pathetic.

Smoky Lake is a premium manufacturer and for reasonable cost. Jim replaced the pans on my evaporator last year and I couldn't be happier. They are unbeatable in craftsmanship and efficiency. I keep them spotless and would be happy to show them off.

Dick

Pibster
04-25-2013, 11:00 AM
best investment I ever made. I bought a much smaller pan but more than doubled my efficiency.
I'm considering one of Jim's 2x4 hybrid pans. Any idea what your gallons per hour was? I don't think the pan is reversible, did this present any problems?

whalems
04-25-2013, 12:00 PM
I will be placing my order next week!:cool: I have had several contacts with jim now and very comfortable with my decision!

AVALLES
04-25-2013, 05:14 PM
I purchased a 2x4 drop flue from smokey lake this march and now have a season under my belt with it. I got between 18 and 20 an hour depending on how hard I fired it. I was hoping for a little better rate than that but over all I am very happy with the craftsmanship and overall performance.

lastwoodsman
04-25-2013, 05:54 PM
I have a 2 x 4 Smokey Lake drop flu and get 25 to 28 GPH

Woodsman

smaple
04-25-2013, 08:20 PM
I have one of Jim's 2x4 hybrid pans. It's on a Bill Mason arch with blower. I get 25 GPH on it firing every 7 minutes or so. No problems not being able to reverse, just brushed it a little at startup. Very nice pan, well worth it.

AVALLES
04-26-2013, 05:54 PM
I should of said a 2x4 hybrid pan.

whalems
05-02-2013, 07:40 AM
put the deposit check in the mail yesterday! and now we wait:( it will be worse then waiting for season to get here!