PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference?

Zamkev
04-17-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm on the verge of buying a new pan set and there is one major difference between the two suppliers that I would like to understand...

I don't understand what the box that surrounds the fittings does. See pics...(one is a pan set from one company and the other is from another company)

Anyone? Thx.

Middleton Maples
04-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Its hard to see but that box is there because it sticks out further than the arch and when it does it angles down so part of it is lower than the pan itself. They do that so the hole for the draw off valve is lower than the rest of the pan that way you can drain it completely. The valve is basically the same.

wiam
04-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Its hard to see but that box is there because it sticks out further than the arch and when it does it angles down so part of it is lower than the pan itself. They do that so the hole for the draw off valve is lower than the rest of the pan that way you can drain it completely. The valve is basically the same.

Some are lower. Mine is not. I would rather it came out the bottom

Zamkev
04-18-2013, 09:48 AM

Thanks MM. I guess that makes sense. For a small hobby producer like myself, I'm not sure if it is worth, or if I can justify, an additional 30% in value of the pans for this feature (I should note that there are a couple other differences as well).

Zamkev
04-19-2013, 04:31 PM
OK - I'm sitting on the fence.

If you were faced with the decision about whether to spend the extra bucks (around 30%) on a pan with a better flow circulation(the ss boxes around the fittings) and maybe one more flue - would ya do it? OK- I know, I know, it depends on how much someone wants to spend etc etc etc. (there is no resale issue here and I will not need to buy another pan in the future due to health issues)

I need to be pushed off the fence one way or the other. Any further insight?

Middleton Maples
04-19-2013, 05:34 PM
What other difference do each have

happy thoughts
04-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Which one do you want us to talk you into? :lol:

Zamkev
04-19-2013, 09:24 PM
What other difference do each have

The more expensive pans have:
1. ss boxes around fittings to allow better flow
2. one more flue
3. probably better quality welds - but not too sure. It looks better:)

I know, I really just have to make my own decision. It somehow might help if everyone says "it's not worth spending more" OR..."if it's the last pan you plan on buying don't have buyer's regret".

maple flats
04-20-2013, 06:57 AM
Before deciding on who makes the pans get a price from Thor, in Quebec. They made mine, the welds look perfect and the price was only about 35% of what Leader quoted me. My valves have the lower section where the valves are on the draw off boxes for better draining, a real nice feature. If you contact them ask for Arnold Raymond unless you speak good French.

Zamkev
04-20-2013, 07:16 AM
Before deciding on who makes the pans get a price from Thor, in Quebec. They made mine, the welds look perfect and the price was only about 35% of what Leader quoted me. My valves have the lower section where the valves are on the draw off boxes for better draining, a real nice feature. If you contact them ask for Arnold Raymond unless you speak good French.

Thanks MF - Thor is the lower quote. The quote they gave me did not include the lower valves sections. I'll contact them and see what the additional $ looks like and if they actually do that for a small pan set like mine 18X60.

heus
04-20-2013, 07:31 AM
If you know what you are doing, both types of pans will make quality syrup. The 30% higher price is for convenience and one more flue for higher evaporation rate.

Zamkev
04-20-2013, 07:41 AM
If you know what you are doing, both types of pans will make quality syrup. The 30% higher price is for convenience and one more flue for higher evaporation rate.

"if you know what you are doing" - I figure I am attentive enough to draw at the right time and ensure the levels are correct etc, etc ......but the real question is.....are other people. I am trying to set up my rig so that in the future friends and family can go into my bush and make syrup with minimal effort - when I'm not around to help. Hmmmm

jnmartin
04-20-2013, 08:36 AM
"if you know what you are doing" ......but the real question is.....are other people. I am trying to set up my rig so that in the future friends and family can go into my bush and make syrup with minimal effort - when I'm not around to help. Hmmmm

You're a brave man! If your friends and family are anything like mine all they'd get to use would be a cast iron pot and a single bit chopping axe.

Sugarmaker
04-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Ok good your going to buy some new pans, most manufactures have there own styles and features. All will make syrup. If its only cost then go with the lower cost option. If you like the added features and can afford the cost then go with that.
I would agree that not many folks set these up for friends and neighbors to run. FYI I have only two folks I will trust running my rig. Myself and my Wife. After that if someone is "helping" I am only a few feet away.
I do know of a local nature center that has many operators on their rig. I have heard problems from them. Not all folks run evaporators the same. "The pans just are there, its the folks running them that make the syrup, or burn the syrup".
So that bit of probably useless wisdom being said. Back to the pans. You may have them a long time. Get the features that will make you happy! If the lower cost supplier will add the features then that's even better.
By the way I am boiling on a set of stainless pans that should have been replaced years ago. Still making quality syrup and I put up with all the issues they have.
Regards,
Chris

Zamkev
04-20-2013, 09:23 AM
I would agree that not many folks set these up for friends and neighbors to run.

Yep. I know. I don't usually let anyone in my kitchen when I'm cooking:) If I had my way, I'd be running my syrup rig and not friends and family. However, I have some health challenges that may not allow me to personally participate in the future and I really would like our spring-time activity to continue for years to come. This is why I am going to give ease of operation some weight in my decision.

Maybe if I had the $ in my back pocket right at this very moment it would be a non-decision.

Zamkev
04-21-2013, 08:24 PM
OK...so here is what Thor says about valves lower than the pan on a small 18 X 60 rig...

"The Transfer pipe is 1 1/5 inch dia. Is sufficient for small evaporator".

If folks have an informed opinion on this, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks again.

Big_Eddy
04-24-2013, 09:58 AM
I put 3/4" dia pipe on mine. It isn't big enough if you like to run shallow. when running less than 1", I can evaporate faster in the syrup pan than will be made up from the sap pan. I think 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" would be fine but ONLY if the lip of the port is less than 1/4" above the bottom of the pan.

I'm going to rebuild my syrup pan to have either a drop box or a bottom exit port. When running less than 1" deep and I get up to temperature- NOTHING flows out the 3/4" outlet (perhaps 1/4" above the bottom edge of the pan) unless I encourage it with a scoop.

It's my biggest complaint with my (home built) rig.

I guess I agree and disagree with Thor. The transfer pipe is large enough, but only if it's set low so that the syrup can flow through it.

Zamkev
04-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Thanks Big Eddy. I can see your point. The larger outlets are only fine if they are low enough.

I just spoke with someone who warned against getting pans with very large drop boxes as too much under-brix syrup sits in them.

Learning all the time.

SapZilla
04-25-2013, 08:22 AM
Thanks Big Eddy. I can see your point. The larger outlets are only fine if they are low enough.

I just spoke with someone who warned against getting pans with very large drop boxes as too much under-brix syrup sits in them.

Learning all the time.

This simply isn't true. Anyone who ever watched syrup boil in the last compartment of a syrup pan can see that there is plenty of mixing going on. Who quoted the better evaporator pan set? Are you firm on buying from a Canadian manufacturer?

Zamkev
04-25-2013, 08:41 AM
This simply isn't true. Anyone who ever watched syrup boil in the last compartment of a syrup pan can see that there is plenty of mixing going on. Who quoted the better evaporator pan set? Are you firm on buying from a Canadian manufacturer?

I'm pretty firm on a "local" manufacturer, but perhaps I should explore all possibilities.

Other quotes have come in from CDL, Atkinsons (who is a distributor for CDL), LaPierre, an independent manufacturer in Quebec (no well-known name or reputation), and Patrick Phaneuf. I have to say that I am leaning towards Patrick. I haven't had any trouble getting hold of him and his product really is top notch - and in the price range as all others (except Thor is ~30% less).