PDA

View Full Version : sunrise metal shop 4x14

Butcher
04-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Just ordered a new 4x14 from sunrise metal shop with all the bells and whistles, its a very small shop but these guys do very good work that is comparable to all the big company's. I ordered the extreme pan and was told it was rated at 270 gph with wood, but I ordered th oil fired so I think I could get 300+, if I added the sap raider which is like a steamaway it would put me right around 500, but I don't have enough ro to feed that rate so opted out of that, but got the whole rig, polished stainless top to bottom for under 19k . Not sure what others are charging but I would guess I saved 10k+.

PerryW
04-16-2013, 10:02 PM
sounds like that sucker will make some steam!

jrmaple
05-07-2013, 06:57 AM
I am curious which arch and other bells and whistles did you get? I just got a quote for a 3x12 with the 16" flues and rated for 170, I didn't know the evaporation rate would be such a dramatic change between a 3x12 and 4x14.

JR

Josh Nickles
05-07-2013, 09:08 PM
I know I said it before, but I can stress it enough. This is not professional grade equipment. You might save some money, but it is nothing like the real thing. I bought some hoods from these Amish guys and they were near garbage compared to the ones built by the real manufacturers of maple equipment. I only mention this because there might be people out there that think all equipment is created equal. It is not.

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-08-2013, 04:27 AM
I know I said it before, but I can stress it enough. This is not professional grade equipment. You might save some money, but it is nothing like the real thing. I bought some hoods from these Amish guys and they were near garbage compared to the ones built by the real manufacturers of maple equipment. I only mention this because there might be people out there that think all equipment is created equal. It is not.
did smokey pay you to say that?
The 2x6 I think it was I saw at Verona last year that Sunrise had there, I would say the craftmanship would rate against any of the top manufacturers.

heus
05-08-2013, 05:08 AM
Josh I think you are way out of line. Maybe its not as "pretty" but it is every bit as functional as the "professional" models.

lpakiz
05-08-2013, 06:55 AM
I thick Josh's main point was that there can be a significant variation in quality from different manufacturers, and that potential costumers should be aware of that. If you want beautiful equipment and are willing to pay, that's one thing. If you would be satisfied with functionality only, that another view entirely. Again, be aware of the difference before buying.
If you are really serious about this, take a small flashlight with you to inspect the welds on the insides, where it is impossible to see in regular light. Some seams are pretty rough inside, and can harbor built-up sugar, dirt, niter, etc. On my Smoky Lake pans, the welds inside look as good as the welds outside. Nuff said!

heus
05-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Yes I understand that. No need to rain on the guys parade though. He will make lots of good syrup on that rig.The Sunrise equipment that I saw at the LEME looked high quality to me. I have never seen welds as perfect as Patrick Phaneuf's though. Better than the new rigs from the big time makers even. In fact there is no hint of welds anywhere.

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
05-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Heus, I can definatly agree with you with paticks welds. The quality and craftsmanship of his evaporators is very nice, and I can say that Im happy to own one.

TheMapleMoose
05-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Jrmaple, the evaporation rate per square foot is the same between his 4x14 and the 3x12 you are looking at. 4x14 = 56sf. 270gph/56sf = 4.82 gph/sf. 3x12=36sf. 170gph/36sf= 4.72gph/sf. It can be deceiving at first glance

russell
05-16-2013, 08:26 AM
I just ordered a Patrick Phaneuf 2x8 with forced draft arch (wood) i use a preheater any idias on GPH.

jrmaple
05-16-2013, 12:17 PM
You'll probably be able to get between 55 and 60 gallons per hour on average, higher with better wood, also depends on the size of your flue pan. He makes great rigs, I've been trying to contact him to get a price on a 3x12 but I have heard he is really busy. Did you find his prices to be fair? I don't know if you want to share the exact amount. Thanks.

JR

pierre
05-16-2013, 02:17 PM
good luck ive been trying to get ahold of him for 4 months no call backs nothing i have his 2x6 drop flue
You'll probably be able to get between 55 and 60 gallons per hour on average, higher with better wood, also depends on the size of your flue pan. He makes great rigs, I've been trying to contact him to get a price on a 3x12 but I have heard he is really busy. Did you find his prices to be fair? I don't know if you want to share the exact amount. Thanks.

JR

whalems
05-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Several years ago when I was looking to buy a new syrup pan I requested a quote from him and a few others. I got a response from him finally after I already had my new pan in hand from another manufacture. He may have the best welds, Best equipment available but if you have a problem with it how long do you want to wait for him to get around to responding to your needs? There a lot of very good manufactures out there for me service after the sale and availability are huge decideing factors when purchasing equipment.

russell
05-17-2013, 06:49 AM
You guys are making me nervous i just ordered the 2x8. he has responded promptly to my email although thats the only cantact i have had with him. i sent a 50% down payment and he sent me acknowlengement he received the check and gave me a june-august delivery.2x8 forced draft arch SS sides 2x5 drop flue pan 2x3 reversable syrup pan float box all fittings and delivery $5250.00

Russ

jrmaple
05-17-2013, 07:14 AM
Can I have the email that you used to contact him? Maybe I have the wrong email or it didn't make it through. Thank you.

JR

russell
05-17-2013, 08:22 AM
patrickletolier@msn.com

heus
05-17-2013, 02:56 PM
russell expect your rig by November or early December. It is well worth the wait, though.

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-18-2013, 05:48 AM
You guys are making me nervous i just ordered the 2x8. he has responded promptly to my email although thats the only cantact i have had with him. i sent a 50% down payment and he sent me acknowlengement he received the check and gave me a june-august delivery.2x8 forced draft arch SS sides 2x5 drop flue pan 2x3 reversable syrup pan float box all fittings and delivery $5250.00

Russ

those are very good prices. All the dealer for just pans for my 2x6 where around that same price I couldnt get a hold of Patrick like a lot of others I guess.

bannonbush
05-23-2013, 02:59 PM
i ordered a 18'x40" flat pan form patrick phanuef last Jan.. he dropped it off personally late Feb... i sold the rig this spring and ordered a 2'x4' dropped flue hybrid pan in April and he personally dropped it off in early May.. he is about 5-6 hrs from my place... Yes hard to get ahold of but if he says he will have it to you.. he will.. hes a busy fella, and its no wonder his stuff is amazing and his prices fair

halfast tapper
05-23-2013, 03:45 PM
Jrmaple, the evaporation rate per square foot is the same between his 4x14 and the 3x12 you are looking at. 4x14 = 56sf. 270gph/56sf = 4.82 gph/sf. 3x12=36sf. 170gph/36sf= 4.72gph/sf. It can be deceiving at first glance

But it still is 100 gallons an hour more. We used to have a 4x14 and it would boil on a good night with the right conditions about 300 an hour with preheater. It was wood fired. I know a friend of mine just priced out a new rig from lapierre , I think it was a 3x10 or 3x12 with preheater and front hood and it was 18 and change. Just remember beauty does not make good syrup, quality in workmanship does. Sounds like a good price to me.

TheMapleMoose
05-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Perhaps I misunderstood the question jr was asking. I thought he was trying to understand why there was such a big difference in evaporation rate between the 4x14 and 3x12. I was just pointing out that the evaporation rate per square foot was the same. The 4x14 is just 60% bigger and in turn can evaporate 60% more per hour. I assumed they were both sunrise metal rigs.
If they are from different mfg's then quality, service, and price are definitely factors to consider.
We had a phaneuf 2x4 flat wood fired and a 16"x16" finisher we bought 5 or 6 years ago. We have sold the evaporator and upgraded but still use the finisher. The mfg quality of his equipment was equal to the leader equipment we have now. It was nice looking stuff.

jrmaple
05-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Maple Moose, you were right, you did answer my question, and both rigs from sunrise metal shop. I actually called Lee the other day about their new "Extreme Heat Wave" arch that has two, side loading doors and two separate fire boxes so the boil never dies. He said that they have only made five so far and are still working on testing them, but the 30"x8' that they made, with 16" flues and their "sap raider" (similar to the steamaway) reached a max of 197 gallons per hour and kept an average of 175 gph. If you ask me, I think that is **** good and a huge step forward for wood fired evaporators and especially coming from a small company like Sunrise. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on one of those instead! :D

treehugger
06-05-2013, 10:19 AM
I just ordered a Patrick Phaneuf 2x8 with forced draft arch (wood) i use a preheater any idias on GPH.

Russell, I too just ordered a 2x8 air tight arch with forced draft. The nice people who retail for Patrick Phaneuf quoted me 60 gal/hr. I ordered hoods with a preheater too. Hoping to be at 65. We'll see. Was happy to hear that he will most likely be there to deliver and set it up. Should be a piece of art as well as a serious boiler.

russell
06-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Treehugger,
I found out after ordering direct from Patrick that there was a retailer in Chazy (close to me) i live in Lake George. i think its kind of strange Patrick dident send me to his retailer the communication with him is not the best i think its the french/english thing.did you order drop or raised flue?
Russ

treehugger
06-05-2013, 08:16 PM
I went with a raised flue. Let me know when you get yours. This way i'll know when to be on the look out.

heus
06-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Patrick delivered my 2x6 in 2010. He helped me set it up. His English was pretty good in my opinion.

treehugger
11-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Have you heard when you will be getting your new set up? I have not yet.