PDA

View Full Version : granulated sugar problems

sapman
04-16-2013, 04:09 PM
I'm looking for ideas on how big a batch of granulated sugar can be made decently on a kitchen stove with typical utensils. We just tried a quart, but only got probably half of it into fine form and through the screen before the rest lumped up hard. Does anybody use something to pulverize those lumps, or is there a better way to get it stirred into granulated form?

Thanks,
Tim

spencer11
04-16-2013, 05:23 PM
I do a quart at least per batch, I tried using a half gallons and it worked good. I get tho hard little balls of sugar to, what I did was take a mortar and pestle and crush them up, so you can. I've also used a strainer and shaved them apart. It takes a lot of work but can be done

wiam
04-16-2013, 07:17 PM
I do 2 gallons batches in my cream machine. I use my heavy duty blender to break up lumps.

Dave Y
04-17-2013, 07:19 AM
Tim,
You can use a potato masher to break up clumps. However get a paddle cream machine, they work great for making sugar.

wiam
04-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Another thing I learned after a while. Stop stirring and sift while it is still quite warm. Most of those lumps will breakup in the sifter

ennismaple
04-17-2013, 09:28 PM
If you stir until the granulated is totally cool you'll get very few lumps. Break up what you can or save them and dump the lumps into the next batch you make. Darker syrup produces more lumps than light.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-18-2013, 04:14 AM
food processor, you do get a finer sugar but still good

sapman
04-18-2013, 09:25 PM
Thanks for all the ideas. My wife added a little water back to the lumps, and this time it all came out real nice. Cream machine sounds like a good idea.