PDA

View Full Version : Thor?

Zamkev
04-15-2013, 07:49 PM
I'm pretty close to ordering a new set of pans from Thor. They have the best price - by far, and I have read some older threads where folks are happy with their welds and service.

Just to be absolutely sure I am making the most informed decision, is there anyone out there that has any concerns about Thor?

Thx.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-15-2013, 07:54 PM
I will be getting a quote here soon also. I know Thad is happy with his and half the money than another manufacturer

grimmreaper
04-16-2013, 07:24 PM
Well I seen one in action !look for maple flats on some forums.he just purchased this past year ..it looks great and even has a great option of reverse flow all on the same side so you don't have to shut down and rotate pans.the bad thing,which may be minor but all elbows and tees have the stainless welded to it,it may be hard to clean those threads inside where the syrup sets

Zamkev
04-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Thanks Grimm. I'm going to go check out the shop in person in the next couple of weeks and so I'll have a close look at the welded T's and elbows. As you say, it's probably minor, but worth knowing in advance. Thx.

Also - for those that might be considering an order with Thor, they have 10% off right now. 10% off very good prices to start with is pretty decent.

Hobbiest
04-18-2013, 10:46 AM
I bought my evaporator from thor this year, I havent tried it yet. looks to very nice and I find the quality to be good. The prices are much cheaper than the used equipment you see on kijiji!!!

I bought a 2x4 evaporator with flues, people say they are getting up to 15gph of boiling!!! I will see for myself next year...

You can check it out if you would like to, I live in Casselman...

If you go to Cowansville use the new hwy 30 south of montreal, it is fantastic cost $1.50 for the bridge. You will save 30 minutes on your drive there

Zamkev
04-18-2013, 10:52 AM
If you go to Cowansville use the new hwy 30 south of montreal, it is fantastic cost $1.50 for the bridge. You will save 30 minutes on your drive there

Thanks Hobbiest for the tip re the new hwy and for sharing your thoughts on Thor.

Moser's Maple
04-18-2013, 11:25 AM
if the Thor's are aything like the Algier's then you have no worries. our Algier is 10 years old and only problem we have had (well actually 2 i'll get to the 2nd shortly) is the front float likes to stick because of sugar build up.....now I know my rig is ten years young so that may be fixed when they changed names. Now the second was a problem, but in the end wasn't a problem.....if your concerned about the quality of the welds DON"T BE. My father once started boiling and forgot to open the feed valve to back of the evaporator.....needles to say he didn't realize something was up until he noticed the lack of steam from the back. he opened the valve in a haste and "flash" boiled some sap........I got back.....heard what happened.....shut down to check things out.......and the back was perfectly fine......no leaks, buckles, just a little cleaning!!!!

Hobbiest
04-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Where are you set up in Ottawa?

Zamkev
04-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Where are you set up in Ottawa?

I live in Ottawa, but my "play property" is near Shawville, Qc.