PDA

View Full Version : John deere Gator?

whitetail farms
04-12-2013, 11:55 PM
hello ive been thinking alot lately as my operation keeps growing that I need something to get out to the woods with some tools and tubeing or something to haul a little sap,I have a 2X4 atv but theres not much room for tools and equipment and its always getting stuck so I have been wondering about getting a 4X6 gator,I was just wondering if any one could help out with my decision and let me know how they do in woods and how well they are in snow I really like the idea of the bed on the back for supplies and stuff and the room to drive a helper out to the woods with me,thanks nick

stoweski
04-13-2013, 05:37 AM
I have a Kubota RTV900. The thing is great... as long as you're not buried up past the axle in heavy snow or mud.
Chains work great on a steeper slope. I have one tank that's in a ravine and I can't get to it when the ground is frozen, snowy, or muddy - chains are nice on the frozen hills.

It came with the hydraulic lift for the bed - make sure you have that option! It's nice when washing it out.

If you're set on a JD I can't help you - does Falls farm & garden carry them?
If you want to look at a Kubota go see Jim @ Emerich's... but you have to go to Charlton to find him - he's not in the Falls store.

whitetail farms
04-13-2013, 09:34 AM
yeas falls farm and garden does carry them,i would love to have a kubota but there to pricey im looking to get something used though

christopherh
04-13-2013, 11:03 AM
I use a JD 6X4 as my primary sap hauler. Its very impressive. It does well in several inches of snow to. It doesn't make any ruts either. The only negative thing I'd say is when it's fully loaded it doesn't like sharp turns, they should have put differential braking on them. Snowy or slippery conditions you'll be backing up several times to make tight turns. Hope this helps! Chris

whitetail farms
04-13-2013, 06:50 PM
glad to hear your about your experience with one I will try to save up for one and find soon, I always see some for pretty cheap that just need some work,thanks for your help guys

Tweegs
04-14-2013, 08:29 AM
I bought the 625i last fall and I couldn’t be happier with that decision.

I had no problems getting through the mud and slop with a full 65 gallon leg tank in the bed.
I did not purchase the hydraulic bed lift and find, so far, that I don’t really need it. It can be added later if I so desire.

The vehicle is capable of 1, 2, 3, or 4 wheel drive.
In normal mode it is 1 wheel drive (used 90% of the time here).
Engage the rear diff lock for traction from both rear wheels.
Disengage the diff lock and press the 4X4 button and you get both fronts and 1 rear wheel pulling.
Add the diff lock for true 4 wheel drive.

1 wheel drive is exceptionally kind to the turf, even with the more aggressive tires.

I added the roof and windshield to keep me out of the wind, snow and rain, and to prevent stray branches from rearranging my dental work. Money well spent, in my opinion.

Front and rear brush guards and skid plates are a necessity here.

The CVT trans adds engine braking for those downhill runs, and low range on the trans adds ample torque for the soupy stuff.

I installed a 3500# winch from “Superwinch”. $250 including the mounting bracket, as opposed to the $600 factory (or dealer) installed Warn. The Superwinch has a lifetime guarantee and is said to be more robust than the Warn, has very good reviews also. I only used my winch to move a couple of downed trees, it performed well there, but that doesn’t really say much. The Gator never got stuck so a true test wasn’t performed. Keep a snatch block in the glove box just in case though.

For a couple of grand extra you could move up to the 825i. More HP, more torque, and more off season fun, if you’re into that sort of thing. As bad as I wanted it, I couldn’t justify the additional cost for this operation and the amount of land I have.

Sengelaub Farms
04-15-2013, 03:03 PM
I've had a 4X6 Gator for years. We don't use it in the sugarbush much except at the end to haul syrup and things out. It doesn't do well in deep snow and is hard to turn. Summertime I use it for fencing and moving cattle. I kinda use it as a mobile tool truck. The back is always full of tools. In the fall I haul most of my sugar wood to the shack in it. I'd be lost with out it. I'm probably going to trade it up to a newer one this summer. But I may keep it just for fencing.

Diesel Pro
04-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Depending on your conditions I'd suggest considering tracks. I have a Ranger with twin 65 gallon tanks in the rear. When things get nuddy it keeps going, but it makes a mess out of my trails.

Sawyer
04-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Our 825i Gator is getting a good workout finally. We've have a 100 ga tank on it. Seven loads yesterday & four today. We put a split windshield on it & I made a vinyl back window. It's fun running back and forth for sure. Handles well in the woods. I'm not sure how it's going to like the wet spots that are starting to appear. It squats more than I think it should. Can't imagine why?? Could use different shocks or something. I think it will really be nice tooling around this summer (if we have one)!