PDA

View Full Version : new filter wool or synthetic?

to100
04-12-2013, 08:20 PM
I bought a wool in my first year with prefilter, I had OK success. I may have tried to twist it to remove water.
Last year's syrup had sediment on bottom of the glass jars, some had sugar crystals. If I recall some where clearer than others. I think some where slightly cloudy, but over time they became clear with sediment. I also have a hydrometer and cup and Taylor candy thermometer.

This year I processed 6 batches of syrup, 4 are not clear. My last and 4th are clear. My first on March 11 has cleared up with thin layer white film. My 5th clogged up 1st prefilter last weekend, what a run that was.
I am thinking of buying a new filter that will not get rung out. Would holding them from the straps and swing it around do any damage?

Which is a better filter for clairity? Does one hold more syrup in suspension than the other?
Would re-filtering make a difference, if so what temperature should I go to?
Sap is over here with buds starting to open on lower branches. Reds where open 10 days ago.

325abn
04-12-2013, 08:42 PM
I dont think the filter has much to do with it being cloudy. I have one synthetic and onkly used it once the year I bought it. I like wool. When I wash then I just spray them with hot water inside and out squeeze not ring then hang them. I also boil them to kill bacteria.

Cindee
04-14-2013, 09:16 AM
Lately we have been having trouble with our pre filter and wool filter clogging and all draining of course stops. I do rinse them in the sink and then run them through my washer with plain water on sanitize and then have the steam added. I don't understand why they are clogging. I have two sets and they both did it to me again yesterday. this happened on the first filtering when sap came off the evaporator, then they were washed and yesterday when I went to finish they clogged when I filtered after the sap switched to syrup. Any ideas or suggestions?

happy thoughts
04-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Are you reheating your syrup after filtering and before packing? If so, bringing it up to temps above 190 -195ish can cause more niter to form.

Cindee
04-14-2013, 09:50 AM
we filter straight off the pan and then when I finish it I take that filtered sap cook it until I am at the right temperature for syrup, remove it and filter right off the stove so it is 220-221 degrees. that is my last filtering before bottling. I do agree the last few batches had more sand on the filters than the others does that indicate anything about the season?

Johnny Yooper
04-17-2013, 09:57 PM
sure would like some suggestions to this question....I have 250 gallons to boil down this weekend and sure hope it's not like the last two weekends: made 13 quarts two weekends ago.....used two or three prefilters in a wool filter, the first 6 quarts or so went well, but then the filters started clogging up and had to bring them into the house and rinse out with hot water, had to do that twice to finish up the last 7 quarts, after it was all done, first 6 quarts are clear while most of the last 7 or so quarts have varying degree of sugar crystals in the jars, from very slight to moderate amount either at the bottom of suspended throughout. Made a smaller batch of 6 quarts one day last week and pretty much same thing: first few bottles ok, then more sugar crystals. When I get to the point of syrup, I go directly from the finish pan though the filters and into the bottles...while I haven't yet monitored the temperature as it's going through the filters and into the bottles, there is basically zero delay pouring into the filters ......doing it this way since I've read many posts on this site that you want the bottling temperature to be at least 180F to kill any bacteria on the inside of the lids or caps when resting the bottles on their sides. But, maybe my temperature is too high going into the filters and bottles? Last year was a no go for syrup here but the year before made 16 quarts on a small homemade stove and results were terrific, not sure what's going on this year. Any comments/suggestions certainly appreciated.

PerryW
04-17-2013, 10:03 PM
sure would like some suggestions to this question....I have 250 gallons to boil down this weekend and sure hope it's not like the last two weekends: made 13 quarts two weekends ago.....used two or three prefilters in a wool filter, the first 6 quarts or so went well, but then the filters started clogging up and had to bring them into the house and rinse out with hot water, had to do that twice to finish up the last 7 quarts, after it was all done, first 6 quarts are clear while most of the last 7 or so quarts have varying degree of sugar crystals in the jars, from very slight to moderate amount either at the bottom of suspended throughout. Made a smaller batch of 6 quarts one day last week and pretty much same thing: first few bottles ok, then more sugar crystals. When I get to the point of syrup, I go directly from the finish pan though the filters and into the bottles...while I haven't yet monitored the temperature as it's going through the filters and into the bottles, there is basically zero delay pouring into the filters ......doing it this way since I've read many posts on this site that you want the bottling temperature to be at least 180F to kill any bacteria on the inside of the lids or caps when resting the bottles on their sides. But, maybe my temperature is too high going into the filters and bottles? Last year was a no go for syrup here but the year before made 16 quarts on a small homemade stove and results were terrific, not sure what's going on this year. Any comments/suggestions certainly appreciated.

If there are actual sugar crystals forming, then you are boiling too long and your syrup is too heavy. A hydrometer would be the best solution to this problem. Syrup that is too thick is also harder to filter.

I woun't worry about your syrup being too hot. I run directly fromt he drawoff valve into a 10 gallon flat filter and my syrup is crystal clear. Keeping everything hot and changing prefilters more often also help.

Pibster
04-18-2013, 10:54 AM
I use 4-5 prefilters inside the wool. Two filters will clog up very fast.

Johnny Yooper
04-18-2013, 11:00 PM
Thank you PerryW and Pibster for your comments; I have picked up a hydrometer and will use it this weekend.