PDA

View Full Version : maple candys melting

chicken123
04-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Just try to make some maple candy. I heated it 242f and then poured into molds. now when i take them out of the molds and set them on the counter they melt. they are very soft and melt in your mouth. so, why do they melt and why are they so soft? did i not heat it hot enough?

SWEETER CREATIONS
04-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Did you pour when you reached 242 without stirring ? Stir it at about 200 and pour into molds before it sets up. If it sets up place it in the microwave for 15-20 seconds in a Pyrex measuring cup and pour the remainder.

chicken123
04-12-2013, 03:45 PM
I poured it at 242f. they are all hard ( they still melt ) should i put them back on the stove and reheat intil they melt. and then stir and pour at 200?

rayi
04-12-2013, 03:51 PM
I take my candy to the soft ball stage on the candy thomometer thern let it cool a few minutes then beat it with a mixer untill the gloss is gone then pour. Have to be careful it goes from liquid to solid quickly. I also so where some one puts the candy in syrup for a few minutes so it will stay fresh longer. Never tired that

SWEETER CREATIONS
04-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Heat to 242 then cool to 200 then stir .fill molds then let them cool . If it sets up then microwave it will look almost milky with granulations in it pour it in the molds when its hot. Keep doing this until it is gone . Mike

SWEETER CREATIONS
04-12-2013, 04:01 PM
The previous method is called crystal coating, heat syrup 9.5 to 12 degrees above syrup (219) soak candies for 24 hours on a wire rack or over night lift wire rack let dry . These have a shelf life of about 6 months. Cornell has a confections manual full of useful info might try to get a copy of it if you can. I use mine every time I make candy , cream, coated nuts , etc if you can't find a copy give me your email address and I will send the pages to you . Mike

chicken123
04-12-2013, 04:28 PM
The previous method is called crystal coating, heat syrup 9.5 to 12 degrees above syrup (219) soak candies for 24 hours on a wire rack or over night lift wire rack let dry . These have a shelf life of about 6 months. Cornell has a confections manual full of useful info might try to get a copy of it if you can. I use mine every time I make candy , cream, coated nuts , etc if you can't find a copy give me your email address and I will send the pages to you . Mike

Thanks. I reheater to what I thought was 242 but after i realized that the thermometer was sitting on the bottom of the pot so it probably 230ish. will this hurt any thing? I stirred it at 200 and i'm now letting them cool in the freezer. right now it is more like sand. I can feel the sugar in it. is this right?

SWEETER CREATIONS
04-12-2013, 04:45 PM
YES you did it . Write everything down like I do so you remember the temp cooling temp etc. Boys say the old man just getting older and can't remember. I use this info every time I make a batch. Weather conditions matter also, don't make it when humidity is high or when its raining , maybe someday they'll look in the old mans journal and laugh about the mistakes I mad. I don't have one of them fancy phones to keep track of all this info , just paper and pencil . Congrates on your candy hope you make lots of it . Mike

Moser's Maple
04-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Find my post in Maple candy still struggling and you'll be making candy everytime

happy thoughts
04-12-2013, 05:33 PM
a version of the cornell confections manual can be downloaded for free here: There's a ton of info in there.

http://maple.dnr.cornell.edu/pubs/confections/Confection%20Notebook4th%20editionforweb.pdf

chicken123
04-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Thanks! The candys taste great!! Also, the cornell manual is great!

backcreek
04-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Did you beat it any before you poured it in your molds? After you take it off the heat and let it set for a minute or so you have to beat it till it loses it's glossy look and then you pour it in your molds very quickly before it sets up. hopes this helps.

chicken123
04-12-2013, 08:26 PM
yes I did beat it before pouring it

Hammer6060
04-12-2013, 10:29 PM
If you look back in Maple candy and cream you'll find a good article about making candy just heat it to 242 let it cool to 180 and stir until you see light swirls then pour it in your molds if it sets up ad a little syrup and reheat and pour again.

Angela Rust
05-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Mike, I have the fancy electronics and prefer pencil and paper for most things. That might be the English teacher in me. :) Just a marbled composition notebook and notes on everything!

maple flats
05-06-2013, 04:55 AM
When we make molded sugar (candy is taxable so we only make molded sugar) we heat to 242, let cool to about 125 and stir to proper texture. Then we pour it into molds. AS it gets hard to pour, we micro wave just enough to liquify, stir again and pour more. Since we make a half gallon of syrup worth at a time, we need to repeat the reheating several times before we are done. We used to pour closer to 175 but like this way better.