PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning steel pans...

smokeyamber
04-12-2013, 09:53 AM
Anyone else run mild steel pans and if so how do you clean em ? I have used vinegar and scrubbing pads with decent results but this seasons syrup has a slight metalic taste that I think is from rust on the pans. While I know the pans were cleaned and sanitary before starting boiling I want to figure out a good way to prevent any rusting. They do seem to rust a bit as they boil though not too much as the sugar coats them good.

May need to start saving for a set of stainless pans...

happy thoughts
04-12-2013, 11:13 AM
I only use SS for syrup but I love my cast iron fry pans. Short of seasoning it like cast iron (which you probably don't want to do because of possible off flavors), I don't think there's a way to stop rusting and even seasoned iron will rust if exposed to prolonged moisture or dampness. On the plus side, you're adding some iron to your diet.

I know that old cane and sorghum kettles are usually given a protective coat of oil between seasons so maybe try that, a light coat of veg oil and store in the driest place possible. Then give it a good wash again right before using next season. A *very* thin coat of veg oil around the rim and to the level you usually fill it might help as well next season. I tried that with my SS pans this year and it seemed to make cleaning off the sugar burn on the sides easier and probably also acted as a defoamer, but in your case it may help prevent rusting until you get that sugar built up again.

Big_Eddy
04-15-2013, 10:38 AM
I used the same mild steel pan for 20 years.
At the end of the season - hang it up - don't wash, don't clean it - leave the soot on the outside and the sugar on the inside. Both will protect the steel and prevent rust. Hang in a warm dry location.

Prior to every season - I would pressure wash the outside to remove the loose soot, but not enough to try to get it shiny again. Inside, I'd use a stiff brush (not wire) and soapy water to clean off any heavy sugar deposits and any dust that built up over the summer. Then I would rinse it several times to make sure there wasn't any residual soap or scent.

The only time I had a rust issue was the year I cleaned it before putting it away.

packrat
04-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Mine is mild steel and has been upside down on top of my sap tank for 3 years. I havent made syrup for 2 years due to health . I bought a cone wire brush to put on my side grinder to clean off the rust that is there . I plan on doing this when the trees start to flow. Looks like it will start this week. I may tap trees today.