PDA

View Full Version : Foil bottle neck seals?

parrothead600
04-11-2013, 11:54 AM
I had an idea, for next season, of bottling my syrup in old whiskey bottles rather than the mason jars that I have been using. Obviously, I would need to clean the bottles out well & sterilize them. The only problem that I can forsee is: I would not be able to tell if the original cap has made a good seal. So I was thinking of using a "peel-off" foil seal on the mouth of the bottle prior to capping.
Does anyone know of a good source for a seal of this type.
Also, before anyone brings up the subject: I only make approx 7 1/2 gallons of syrup per year & I don't sell it. It is all for my personal use & gifts to friends.
Thanks in advance

happy thoughts
04-11-2013, 03:22 PM
I think what you're talking about is called induction sealing. I'm not sure that will work for your purpose. You can get an airtight seal with those cap liners but not sure if you will be any more assured of a vacuum seal which is what you get (and want) in normal bottling at recommended packing temps. It sounds to me like the liners are more an assurance of tamper protection and in some cases keeping air out of pills and spices, items that would not need to be canned for preservation in the first place. You also need a special sealing machine and I doubt they come cheaply. Here's more about the process and a place to look for prices.

http://www.sks-bottle.com/InductionSealing.html

I'd look at another type of bottle or maybe look for replacement caps in metal that are appropriate for normal hot pack canning. Ones you can tell when sealing occurs by the indentation in the cap on cooling.

parrothead600
04-15-2013, 11:42 AM
That induction sealing system looks like it would expensive, at least too expensive for just a hobby. It has been several years since I bought any syrup in plastic jugs, but don't they use an adhesive seal under the cap? Or are they also the induction seals?

happy thoughts
04-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Or are they also the induction seals?

I don't know for sure but I would assume so. I'd also assume their purpose is for providing tamper protection and also to prevent leakage. But whatever the case just using something with an adhesive is not going to get you or assure a vacuum seal which is the purpose of hot packing. You might as well just cover the top with a piece of duct tape :o :)

parrothead600
04-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Duct Tape; Now there's an idea!:lol: I should of thought about that one myself. Just kidding. Maybe the mason jars are the most cost effective way to go. I just thought the recycled whiskey bottle idea would be kinda cool.

Sunday Rock Maple
04-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Dominion and Grim has Whiskey bottles on page # 60 of this years catalog. We use the Gallone ones (page 58) and really like them --- this way we are buying them new and sterile and folks can them recycle them for other uses later on their own.