PDA

View Full Version : Building the Wood Pile

ibby458
08-29-2006, 06:47 AM
The neighbor has decided to sell her property (unfortunately, it's priced waaaaay out of my reach), but has agreed to sell me all the dead wood before the sale goes thru. It's mostly standing dead tamarack, whicj our outdoor wood furnace loves and makes the evaporator boil like crazy.

We came up with a cutting system that is quite efficient and I thought it might interest others.

My wife and son started into the woods from our back meadow, cutting a road and dropping every dead tree they found. THey kept going in random directions, heading for the bigger clumps of dead trees, dropping them whichever way they wanted to fall.

Once they got far enough ahead so I wasn't in the fall area, I'd back the tractor in and my younger sons would hook chains to as many as I thought the tractor could bring out in one hitch. Avoiding maples and other good trees, I'd skid the whole bundle out into the meadow, branches snapping off as it rolled and bounced along. The logs were almost always limb-less poles before I unhooked. 6 hours of this, and we'd have 5-10 (face) cords of bone dry wood in the field.

Each hitch was dragged over the limbs from the previous hitches, and the dry limbs were all broke into managable lengths. The next morning, I'd hook onto the wood traler before heading back, and we'd pick up a couple cords of 2-4" diameter dry limb wood, perfect for the evaporator. WE unhook the trailer off to one side and go back to skidding logs.

After 6 days of this, we have around 30 cords of logs in the field and 6 cords of dry limb wood piled up behgind the sugar house. I'll need to cut a lot of the sugar wood to length, but that'll be quick work compared to all the splitting required to work bigger chunks down to evaporator size.

fk
08-29-2006, 08:51 AM
Ibby,
Thats alot of wood. That little 30x8 cant eat all that! 8) :lol:

By the way..I found a 3x10. Got it home now. I just need to get some concrete poured for it..

Frank K

Fred Henderson
08-29-2006, 01:50 PM
That is the only way to do fire wood, get it out in the open where you can operate on it. That is exactly the way that I do mine except I have a homemade skidding winch. I had so many winched up behind that Kubota one day last winter that when I went to go it raised the front wheels off the ground.
I only got about 30 face cords(18"x4'x8') for the SH. Mostly Elm and hickory.

MASSEY JACK
08-29-2006, 04:31 PM
If you can find two large trees about 15 feet apart that you are going to cut anyway you can use them to limb the trees for you. Pull the trees just through between them and then turn 90 degrees and the standing trees will cause the limbs to get broken off. This way all your sugar wood will be in one place. When you are done you can cut the two trees left standing. Saves a lot of work.I use a farmi 3pth winch. It is good because it keeps you from putting the tractor where it does not belong.

ibby458
08-30-2006, 06:22 AM
I've had a winch on the back of the tractor before, and I didn't care for it. I guess being on flat, dry ground makes it easier to just back up to the logs.

I kinda do the limbing trick. I leave a few "junk" trees on the inside of bends to turn the long logs - That pops off the branches in about the same spots. I'll cut the barked up trees when I'm done.

Hi Frank! What didja get for a 3x10? I haven't done a thing with your old one yet, besides unload it and put it under cover. I gotta get the borrowed one out of the shed and pour some concrete before I set up the 30x8.

If I don't burn it all in one season, it'll keep another year. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I'm tired of boiling, gathering AND cutting wood all in the same day!