PDA

View Full Version : Flue Style Pans

filb972
04-10-2013, 03:41 PM
As I'm pretty new to this. Can someone tell me how the sap transfers from the grooves in the flue pan to the finish pan. I can see there is a transfer pipe but from what I can tell it looks like it is above the grooves... so how does it get out of those without scorching? does the fresh cooler sap from the holding tank sink down into them and push the warmer sap out? I have never seen one in operation but sure would like to.
Thanks

PerryW
04-10-2013, 03:52 PM
When you boil, the sap level should be about 1 inch above the flues. Once you start boiling, the foaming action stirs the sap up vigorously and mixes everything up. The cold sap enters at one end of one of the sections of the pan, and leaves the pan at the other end of the other compartment. This makes the sap flow though the pan.

Jeff E
04-10-2013, 03:58 PM
Flue pans are usually divided into sections, as is the syrup pan. The sap is kept at a constant level in the pans with a float controlled inlet. As the water evaporates out the new sap enters one side of the flue pan, and pushes the existing, more concentrated sap forward.
The sap that is in the flues is constantly being agitated up and down with heating, so it also is pushed forward in the channels in the pans.

The more concentrated sap keeps pushing ahead to a dead end, where the syrup is ultimately drawn off. So if you follow the channels from where the sap enters the pans, to the place where it is syrup, there will be a gradual transition of ever increasingly concentrated sap.

filb972
04-10-2013, 04:08 PM
I see now. The boiling action stirs it up and keeps it moving forward. Hey thanks for the helpful info.