PDA

View Full Version : Leader Open House?

Lazarus
04-10-2013, 11:16 AM
We're heading up to Leader's Open House this year (April 26-27). For us in southern Ohio, this involves plane tickets and hotels. I hope to purchase a new evaporator for the 2014 season and I really need to see more of them up close, and we really don't have anyone else near us. We did get a chance to do Ohio's maple tour last month and got to see lots of great setups, mostly a lot bigger than us. Great recommendations for Leader as well as CDL.

I have heard that there might be other places we should hit while at the Leader Open House. Any suggestions as to other manufacturers that might be within driving distance that we could see at the same time? Any sugarhouses that are open? We're planning on arriving Thursday evening the 25th and flying back out on Monday.

Thanks!
-Laz

300+ taps (that run like 500)
2x6 GBM with preheater (for sale)!

nymapleguy607
04-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Where are you flying into Swanton or Burlington? CDL is in St Albans about 20 min south of Swanton. Swanton has leader and Lapierre. Fairfax is maybe 15 minutes south of ST albans and they have Dominion and grimm. Dominion and Grimm are usually a disappointment, they have little or no equipment running and no evaporators.
CDL, Lapierre, and Leader will all have evaporators and other equipment running.
Maybe we'll see you there we're heading up Thursday and leaving Sunday. Good luck

Burnt sap
04-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Just so you know they will have plenty units on display and running talked to the folks last week when buying some bottles. FYI Make sure to ask for the 10% discount if you buy a new unit they are pretty good about giving it without asking. CDL only had a 2x4 and 2x6 wood fired last week in house. Good luck.

Walling's Maple Syrup
04-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Dominion and Grimm do not have alot of stuff being demonstrated, mostly because they are short-staffed, but I would strongly recommend looking at their evaporators and getting a price from them. They are very competitive in their pricing and the quality is just as good. We have always owned D&G wood-fired evaporators and last year purchased 2 new 4x14 oil-fired units from them. Very efficient units and very happy with them.

yards1520
04-10-2013, 03:29 PM
I have also been very happy with D&G. Pricing is almost always better on just about everything, quality is great, and service has always been friendly and helpful. I bought a new RO unit off them last year...they were WAY cheaper than the other companies and I love the machine!

Bruce L
04-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Went to D& G a few years back,major disappointment,haven't been there since,try to hit the other 3 in a days driving around.Wife and I are planning in staying in Plattsburgh,N.Y for the weekend,shorten the drive and spend time so we can spend money and not pay duty for spending enough time in the U.S

Thompson's Tree Farm
04-10-2013, 06:30 PM
I think St Albans will be having their maple festival that weekend also so more to visit and see.

Lazarus
04-10-2013, 08:36 PM
We're staying down in Colchester at the Hampton Inn. It's a bit of a drive to Leader, but it's very close to the Burlington Int'l aiport where we're flying in. Colchester appears to have a nice little business district, so that might be a way to kill a little time on Thursday (and there's an Irish chainpub - what more do you need?). Also, not bad of a drive to D&G and wicked close to Lapierre.

Found all the info on Lapierre's site, thanks much!

Regarding D&G, I can't seem to find the exact location of their open house. Their website lists the location as "Georgia, VT", but there is no branch or corporate office that seems to line up to that location. Is the Fairfax location at their corporate headquarters (164 Yankee Park Road, Suite 101, Fairfax, VT, 05454) where it is?

Total zero on CDL information - nothing on their web site under the events. Am I missing something obvious?

Walling's Maple Syrup
04-10-2013, 08:57 PM
We're staying down in Colchester at the Hampton Inn. It's a bit of a drive to Leader, but it's very close to the Burlington Int'l aiport where we're flying in. Colchester appears to have a nice little business district, so that might be a way to kill a little time on Thursday (and there's an Irish chainpub - what more do you need?). Also, not bad of a drive to D&G and wicked close to Lapierre.

Found all the info on Lapierre's site, thanks much!

Regarding D&G, I can't seem to find the exact location of their open house. Their website lists the location as "Georgia, VT", but there is no branch or corporate office that seems to line up to that location. Is the Fairfax location at their corporate headquarters (164 Yankee Park Road, Suite 101, Fairfax, VT, 05454) where it is?

Total zero on CDL information - nothing on their web site under the events. Am I missing something obvious?The address you have for D&G is correct. CDL is in downtown St Albans.(3 Lemnah Drive). Neil