PDA

View Full Version : New cdl 2x6 it just hit me i don't have a clue!

regor0
04-09-2013, 04:35 PM
A couple nights ago I fired up my new evaporator for the first time, thinking I really know what I'm doing. But as I'm filling the fire I realize I'm clueless, kinda.
My buddy has a leader 2x6 so i set mine up how his is set up, talking about the float box and draw off. Mine has the sap coming in the right rear, as does his, but his has 2 pipes coming out of the rear float box running to either front side of the flue pan. Mine has only 1 pipe running to the left front of the flue pan. My question is which side of the syrup pan is my float supposed to be on and which side do I draw off on. The manual that comes with the evaporators say nothing about how to set up the float boxes or which valves to have opened or closed. A simple drawing of the sap flow would help. Its a reverse flow pan.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Roger

Mark
04-09-2013, 04:43 PM
That is always a problem with maple equipment not having any info with it, they rely on the dealers to help you out. The dealer should have helped set it up or at least answer questions?

Red Shed Sugaring
04-10-2013, 11:39 AM
We are going to be buying the same thing in a couple of weeks that's one of my biggest fear is not enough info with the evaporater!

PerryW
04-10-2013, 12:51 PM
The important thing is:
make sure the raw sap entering the flue pan takes the longest route before exiting the pan and into the front pan. (otherwise, raw sap will immediately flow into the syrup pan)

If I understand you correctly, since your sap enters the flue pan in the LEFT FRONT, then your front pan float should be on the right side. This forces the sap to travel to the back of the back pan, through the cut-out and to the front of the back pan and exit the pan into the syrup pan.

Also, your evaporator is probably set up to allow you to REVERSE THE FLOW, i.e. there may be a way to change the entry point of the raw sap from the left front to the right front. Then you would have to switch your syrup float to the left side. (Reversing the flow on every other boil reduces sugar sand buildup in your front pan).

regor0
04-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Figured out how to run it. Without the help of the dealer or cdlusa. They are apparently to busy to return calls or email.
To reverse flow in the flue pan you just remove a section of pipe in the flue pan and move to either side of center. Then just move the float on the syrup pan to the opposite side and draw off the side the the sap is dumping into the flue pan. As PerryW said "Make the sap take the longest route". Yes I know it's simple after you figure it out, but it kinda irritates me they don't give a decent instruction manual with these things. And you spend thousands of dollars and can't even get a return phone call or an answer to email.
Sorry for my rant, this site has saved lots of people a lot of time and money with all the information.
THANK YOU EVERYBODY!!!!

western mainer
04-26-2013, 03:41 PM
On a 2X6 the float box stays where it is and there is not a way to reverse flow. All you can do is when you shut down is take your syrup pan off and turn it around. I don't, I drain it, and clean it in place. Post a photo or send me a photo so I can see your sent up and I will help you. Sorry I miss this when you first posted it.
Brian

maple flats
04-26-2013, 07:16 PM
That's the industry norm. Make every pan combination different and then make sure you don't educate the one who will be running it. I've seen no instruction manual for any of the 4 rigs I've had.

regor0
04-26-2013, 08:00 PM
I wanted to buy my pans from smokey lake, but they were backed up 8 weeks. Have heard nothing but good things about them. I wasn't going to buy one till this summer but with winter the way it was here this year, lasting so long. I thought I could get a few practice runs in this year before it was over and had to have one "now".

western mainer
04-27-2013, 05:20 AM

regor0 I have uploaded your photo's here so others can see your rig, I my self haven,t seen a CDL like this one. So there has to be some one here that can see something I'm missing.
Thanks Brian