PDA

View Full Version : First 2013 Crop Harvested and Bottled

frjeff
04-08-2013, 12:31 PM
First 2013 crop fully harvested and packaged: Exactly one gallon + 1 pint yield from 46 gallon of sap.
Not a bad yield ratio from my species of Maple trees (3-Red, 1-Norway and 1-Manitoba).

Pretty much appears to be all light Amber. The last batch is on right and may be a bit darker - hard to tell with the light and shadows.

Had great fun. To drill a hole, boil what drips out and end up with this sweet nectar is truly an enjoyable blessing.

Went through a bit of propane on my turkey cooker and 12x18 buffet pan. May consider a block or barrel arch for next Spring. However, I do not have free wood either, so maybe less cost this way.

Thanks to all here who offered such great suggestions and tips. Could not have accomplished this without you.

Many stacks of pancakes and french toast ahead!!

TerryEspo
04-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Looks great.

Congratulations.

Terry

Run Forest Run!
04-08-2013, 03:10 PM
It looks beautiful - and so does that table!

MapleLady
04-09-2013, 06:46 AM
Congratulations on your first season! It is a wonderful feeling to look at that finished syrup and remember all the sap that you collected to make it! Enjoy!

Now, for you to start planning for 2014! :D

jblaker
04-10-2013, 08:34 PM
I know you are looking forward to pancakes and frenchtoast, but you really need to try it on ice cream. It's almost sinful!!!!
SugarShackJack