PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Indiana Vacuum

TheMapleMoose
04-08-2013, 09:10 AM
We are setting up a new bush next year and are adding vacuum to it as well. Wondering if anyone has any experience using/dealing with Indiana Vacuum? How is their service? How does the pump perform? Water vs oil sealed? Etc. any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

highlandcattle
04-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Funny you should ask. We've posted many times about our pump from Indiana Vacuum. We needed a custom job becasue we're so small. Had to wait our turn, but got what we wanted. it's got a gas engine and double pulleys. These are real nice people. Former dairy farmer, now inventor of vacuum pumps. He has a big sugarbush himself. Been running ours for about the 3rd season, no problems and great price. If interested pics availbale or check on our facebook @ Highland Hills Farm. Hope this helps

yards1520
04-08-2013, 07:39 PM
This was our first season with our 60cfm gas powered vacuum pump from Indiana vac. So far so good. And the service has been excellent. They are great people to do business with!

gmcooper
04-08-2013, 08:21 PM
I have a 35 cfm electric water cooled unit from Indiana Vacuum. I think this was at least my 4th maybe 5th year with this pump. Runs flawlessly with no issues. Art was good to deal with at purchase and I haven't had to call them since then.

Moser's Maple
04-08-2013, 08:29 PM
we have 3 indiana pumps.... a 60 cfm gas, a 35 cfm gas, and a 20 cfm electric all oil cooled. they told us we while the pump was running we would be able to put our hand on the pump without it being to hot, they were right. all 3 pulling 26 in all season so far. only problem we had was the reservoir on the 35 cfm had a bad weld and was leaking oil....they told us we can either send back the reservoir tank to them at their cost to fix, or if we find someone local who can weld alum. they would go good for the bill. now that's what i call service!
Jake

sapman
04-08-2013, 11:33 PM
Another satisfied customer here. Though I have since gotten another pump, Art is always up front and honest.

Gizzy
04-09-2013, 07:38 AM
This is our first season with the 20cfm electric oil cooled pump and I have no complaints. The people at Indiana Vacuum are very helpful with any questions we had.

philkasza
04-09-2013, 07:57 AM
My advice is to go with Indiana Vaccum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have a 75 cfm and a 100 cfm pump both gas powered, pulling 27"+ all season without one issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To go all season without an issue is enough to overide any price, right? Authur Harris is the owner and he basically builds these pumps himself. He is a fine Christian so he gives good service no matter how much it cost him. I would reccommend him and his pumps above any other that I have found. Also he has about 6 gas powered units and a couple electric units in his 4500 tap operation, so he depends on what he builds to give HIM optimum performance. He also has researched different vaccum pumps to figure out which ones gives the deepest vac, I believe he uses decker and robusci pumps, NOT TUTHILL!!

Best regards
Samuel Kasza

TheMapleMoose
04-09-2013, 08:31 AM
Thank you for the replies, sounds like a good option. I am looking at the 20cfm electric oil cooled, and have a few ?s about the performance of your pump. Do you keep it in a heated room? How much vacuum are you able to maintain on how many taps? I am a lot more familiar with the Airablo rotary vane pumps than a liquid ring, so the daily maintenance /operation and performance of a liquid ring is not in my wheelhouse

Moser's Maple
04-09-2013, 10:50 AM
MapleMoose
First I'll tell you when you get your pump don't expect to have an instruction manual with it because there will not be one. (at least this was in our case) your unit will consist of the motor directly connnected to the pump, an oil cooler between the pump and reservoir, and a aluminum reservoir tank, and on ours they also had a check valve installed on the vac line coming off the pump. do to the pump arriving later than expected because of their orders we lwft our pump right on the shipping skid, put cement blocks under it to keep it off the ground, and bought a portable garge to cover the pump, releaser, and tank. just make sure to vent the oil exhaust outside so you don't get a haze in your building. we are going to build a pump house this summer, but this worked great for the season. our 20 cfm was hooked up to was hooked up to 557 taps, with the possibility to expand on this system, and had 2 sap ladders on the system. we ran a constant 25-26 in all season ( the pump is a little over kill for that amount of taps) and had no issues what so ever. daily maintenance consisted of check the oil level in the reservoir and adding more oil if needed. the higher vacuum levels you run, the more oil you will exhaust off, but the greater sap yield you will receive. I actually spent more time with daily chores of my bernard double releaser than what I did with the pump. also remember to put a moisture trap off the pump and before the releaser. I hope this helps
Jake

04-09-2013, 02:14 PM
What's the difference between between water and oil can the water reach the same vac levels and also can you run them without a regulator. Thanks.

gmcooper
04-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Not sure about the oil cooled but my water cooled came with a simple and very small regulator which will let in a small amount of air if ball in the releaser plugs and cuts off the releaser. Other wise no need for a regulator. Mine will read 27" at the pump.

04-10-2013, 02:15 PM
What do you get in the woods

MillbrookMaple
04-10-2013, 05:50 PM
We just finished our first season with a 75cfm electric oil cooled. Worked fine all season for us. We only got 25 inches tops even if all the lines were closed, but it might be our elevation 2200 ft. It was overkill this season for 2000 taps and we had no issues with getting 25" at the far taps. The only issue we had was the pump would draw really heavy on start up. We had to have the electric company come and reset the transformer at the pole once because it was drawing way more than 100 amps to start. My solution was to cycle on and off the breaker 5 seconds on 5 off until the pump spun up smoothly and then it worked like a champ. This kept the transformer from self protecting. We will be looking to upgrade to a 200 amp service in the off season.

Snow Hill Farm
04-11-2013, 08:23 PM
I am extremely happy with mine, had it 6 years or so and not a problem and price was way better than going to one of the big guys. When you call with questions Art answers and he builds them! Support them, they deserve it! Pics on our web site www.snowhillfarm.com

220 maple
04-12-2013, 05:33 AM
I have had no problems with my 35 cfm liquid ring Indiana Pump, fourth season just finished.

Mark 220 Maple

philkasza
04-12-2013, 07:24 AM
I would strongly recemend going with at least 4-5 cfm per 100 taps . In our woods with 1700 taps we went with a 100 cfm but in that woods we have a vacuum powered piston pump to pump the sap up out of a 50 ft hole . If i would do it over I probaly would go with a 150 cfm because when the piston pump was pumping our vacuum would drop about 1inch. In that woods we were pulling at the pump 28-28.5 inches all season ( that is without the piston pump running ) so go with a big cfm pump it will pay for itself.
Philip