PDA

View Full Version : Guess I am getting lazy...

smokeyamber
04-08-2013, 08:27 AM
So last night I was finishing 3 gallons of syrup on the propane burner watching the temp .. and the electronic thermometer fell into the syrup... needless to say it is dead. So now all I have is the old style dial thermometer and the hydrometer. Well I guess I was tired so I said #@$#$# it and just started checking only with the hydro. Big old dial thermometer kinda worked but when the hydro would float I would draw off. Man it worked sooo nice ! No more watching the digital numbers bounce around, suddenly I was more relaxed and I really let the stuff in the pan go much farther along as well knowing that the hydro would not lie.

So now I am lazy and I get what everyone has said here about using the hydrometer. Only thing I will do for next year is get a spare :D

Ausable
04-09-2013, 08:58 AM
As a Backyarder - Most of the time I just use a Maple Syrup Hydrometer. For me - it is quick - accurate and easy for an old man to read. Takes a lot of the guess work out. When that baby starts to float in the test cup - Ya know you had better pay attention to business - because maple syrup is a short way off. Commercial Producers are a different lot. It has to be Big - Shiny - with all the Bells and Whistles possible to impress the visitors and tourists as it helps sell product. We - On the other hand - just have to make good maple syrup and impress our toughest consumers - the Mrs. and Ourselves. lol - I agree Smokey and it ain't being lazy. ---Mike---

wnybassman
04-09-2013, 10:36 AM
My digital thermometer bit the dust on me early this season. Bought a replacement and apparently the flexible probe was not sealed as good as the old one and only lasted one use. Ended up just using the hydrometer the rest of the season. The only thing I like about the thermometers is the alarm feature to let me know when I reach a certain point without hovering over it.