PDA

View Full Version : Does rinsing filters add that much more sugar?

Galena
04-08-2013, 08:21 AM
Hey all

Well the math sure didn't work out for my most recent batch, #5...I punched in the number of litres of sap and divided by 40, and was expecting to get about 1 1/4 litres, so 5 cups total.

But the syrup had its own ideas!!! The window formed and held beautifully even though I knew there was still way more syrup in the pot than there should have been...so I poured it off and ended up getting a whole litre more!!!

So either my sugar content is off the scale or, if I remember correctly, following suggestions here, I rinsed out the filters in a batch of sap which went into the making of this particular batch.

Also as an afternote, there was a helluva lot of nitre from this one batch, there was even nitre on the bottom of of the pot when I poured it off. Luckily the filters got it so it's gorgeous and crystal clear. (can see it in my Maple Gallery, linky at bottom of my signature).

Could I really have added THAT much more sugar simply by rinsing out a few small filters the size of regular coffee filters??:confused:

buck3m
04-08-2013, 08:41 AM
...Could I really have added THAT much more sugar simply by rinsing out a few small filters the size of regular coffee filters??:confused:

A whole liter with a few tiny filters? Nope. : ) Maybe with a thick Orlon filter and a bunch of pre-filters you could salvage nearly that much. But you undoubtedly salvaged some sugar, and maybe your sap's sugar content is higher than you expected or there was some more sap in there you hadn't accounted for... could be a lot of things.

It's a nice surprise none-the-less!