PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas to haul 100 gallons of sap

PEI Maple Guy
04-08-2013, 07:16 AM
Ok, I'm new to the maple syrup world, last year I set up 25 buckets and boiled on an old wood stove with the top cut off, this year I did 60 plus taps with a homemade evaporator. Next year, I am going with a 2X6 or 2X8 evaporator and 100-150 taps.
My plan is to run lines to two 55 gallon drums, laying on their side. The land I am tapping is fairly flat and it's a slight uphill climb from there.

I have a Suzuki 400 Eiger ATV and an Arctic Cat Cheetah snowmobile. I had ideas of maybe have 4 barrels already set up with little sleds/trailers and just hook up and go. But not sure that this will always work, especially when it's between winter and spring.

The tanks also have to be relatively low to the ground as running lines on flat ground is a challenge.

Big_Eddy
04-10-2013, 07:35 AM
Search on here - there are a number of solutions posted. Flat ground makes for easier hauling than steep slopes.

I use a trailer with a 100gal tank on it. I've posted it here. http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?19016-New-Sap-Trailer I pull with my compact tractor. Full it could be too much for an ATV pulling uphill. Others use 2 55 gal tanks on their side on a similar trailer.

You can make multiple trailers and swap them out every day pulling the full one home and replacing it with an empty, or you can make one hauling trailer with a 12V bilge pump attached and pump out your woods tank each day. The first option gives the advantage of being able to hose out the tank after every use - but it's additional investment and work.

I have 2 trailers and tanks. If sap gets ahead of me - I leave the one tank full and take the second. Gives me an additional 100 gals storage.

rayi
04-10-2013, 08:39 AM
I also have flat land. I have a compact tractor with a 3 point carrier. I had to dig out a trench to put my tank straped to a pallet. Have two tanks that I switch out then drive the quarter mile with a rise of 100the feet. One area goes to thru a low area that can really get muddy. My dream is to pump from woods to at least past the low spot