PDA

View Full Version : 2 benders and sp-11

markcasper
04-08-2013, 01:41 AM
I have a real problem.....I tubed the north side of a hill opposite of the south where I have tapped for years. There is about 250 taps on both sides with the sp-11 pump and bender releaser there. I ran, on a wire nearly 500 feet of 1 1/2" air line to the northeast side and it doesn't work to run 2 of them. I am only getting 10" at best and running that low one or the other screws up, doesn't trip right and then I end up losing everything.

When running just one as always, I get a good solid 18" out in the woods, when I try to run 2, it results in failure. I wanted to get 2 hobby releasers this past winter but was told there were none available until for the 2014 season.

I think because those benders lose so much air it just isn't going to work to run both sides and yes the system is super tight, been around it 6 times. Zero tanks are not really an option in this situation. But would this work, because I read somewhere those big bernards need at least 20" to function properly? The pump itself is capable of 25" by itslef, but the darn benders steal it away.

I do have a big bernard that I bought and i had no intention of using it in this woods, its for my other woods that I don't have tubed yet. I'm thinking the only way to solve this on such short notice here is to set this one up and still keep using the bender on one of the sides of the hill.

An sp11 should easily handle 500 taps and thats what is in this woods. I know of people running an sp-11 with 700 taps and a zero tank and their getting 25" out in the woods. I am sure the problem lies with the benders??

Dennis H.
04-08-2013, 05:03 AM
You are correct that the sp11 just can't keep up with 2 benders.
I ran 2 benders with an sp22 for a couple of years and had no problem. The sp22 was way overkill for the amount of taps I had. Then I stumbled upon an sp11 at an auction and figured that I could save some in electric and run the smaller sp11.
Pulled out the sp22 hooked up the sp11 and fired it up. I saw the exact same thing that you did. I honestly thought that I had a bad leak at first.

I closed the valve to the bender and the vac level went right back up.

The Benders are great little releasers but thier biggest down fall is that vac leak at the top cap.

unc23win
04-08-2013, 07:22 AM
I have an Sp-11 running 700 taps with a Bernard 213 double. It runs 21" all day long might do a little more, but I have a regulator on it I didn't want to over do it, I think it gets plenty hot as it is.

PETE FELCH
04-08-2013, 08:26 AM
Mark
You should put your other releaser out there . Remember you are milking maples not cows vacuum vacuum vacuum makes money

markcasper
04-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Hi pete, I am going to put the big bernard out there tomorrow, have to much in the cook shack going on today.

I ran 2 benders in my other woods with an sp-11 before this year, but had it on a gas engine and I guess it was running faster than normal causing it too work, plus there wasn't near the mainline in that other woods thats now in the process of getting retubed.

Does anyone know if running both the bender and the big bernard will work......with vacuum less than 20" for the barnard?

Another QUESTION:::::Can anyone tell me if you can adjust the float to dump smaller amounts from the bernard? I think its 15 gallons and am going to have it sitting over a step saver pot which runs to the tank which is only 10 gallons?? (I can't have the storage tank near the woods because its 800 feet from the road.)thanks.

unc23win
04-08-2013, 10:08 AM
A Bernard will run with less than 20' vacuum, but 20' should be the goal. I wouldn't run the bender with it as it will most likely leak off. If you want the Bernard to trip quicker you can take the floats off an put some rice in them.