PDA

View Full Version : Clean up time

cbmapleguy
04-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Well, we're a week or 2 away from finishing in the 2013 season. Soon time to start thinking about the clean up. I've done a number of searches on the forum and can't seem to find much discussion on cleaning tubbing systems. (maybe because it's everyones favorite job!)

Does anyone use a compressor / water pump combo to clean their lines? I've seen a complete setup in a number of supplier's catalogues. I just bought a handful of fittings to make my own and give it a try

Can anyone comment on if the this combo works? We have 550 tabs on gravity. approx 580 feet in elevation.

Thanks,
cbmapleguy

markct
04-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Many producers including myself dont clean there lines. I originaly thought that was foolish and would flush them with water as best i could, still would end up with a bunch of mess in the tank the first time the next year. I was at a seminar at bascoms and a large producer was saying how he didnt wash his lines, and pointed out that when the sap thats in the lines sits it turns to vinegar which is a good cleaner and harmless of course. Ever since then i dont wash my lines and actualy seem to have less mess come out of the lines first run!

batsofbedlam
04-07-2013, 09:06 PM
I buy a bunch of gallons of white vinegar and cut it 50/50 with water. Leaving my vacuum on, I suck the vinegar into the taps after I pull them. I've been doing this for 3 years and the lines stay remarkably clean.

cbmapleguy
04-15-2013, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the info!