PDA

View Full Version : Hello, and thanks. Newbie Intro

DoubleBrookMaple
04-07-2013, 09:08 AM
Hi Folks,

First, thanks so much for helping me make my first attempt at sugaring a success! It started just two weeks ago today when I tapped 25 of my trees here on the mountainside. The last time I tried at age 14, it was such a failure! Born and raised in New England, I lived in L.A. for to many years of my adult life. Anyway.... I am at 2000 ft, and still 6-12 inches of snow this morning. I began maybe three weeks ago in earnest, and designed, built, and tested my steam pan, cinder block based arch in 8 days. I had 50 gallons last Tuesday, and boiled it down, filtered, and bottled hot off the evaporator in 7 hours into just shy of a gallon of Grade B (It is actually between A dark amber, and B on my Vermont Temporary Grading Kit). We use about 2-3 gallons/year here, and like Grade B. Mine does have a good flavor!
Today I have 60 gallons more to go again with some more improvements in my operation. I also tapped more trees, and up to 50. I am hoping for a couple good days here, as it has been sporadic on the runs, with little time left. It seems like it has been to cold most of the days, barely running into the 30's. I have a milk jug up the hill solid frozen still. That will change over the next few days it seems.
I will post pics and details of my operation later in another spot.

Here is a couple YouTube videos on my evaporator in operation...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnLdkUv02zg&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOI_SceenKM&feature=youtu.be

Again, Many Thanks. I gotta go. Busy day ahead

Eric

Eric7707

Ausable
04-08-2013, 06:35 PM
As long as Your having fun Eric - it is all worth it. My Season started later this year - but I'm getting sap. The two previous years were were crazy and the trees were stingy. But my Son and Grandsons had lots of sap 80 miles South of me and saved my bacon. This year - they were too busy to tap any trees and their trees budded out early. My trees are in the early stages of budding - but - still giving good sap. So it all worked out. Boiling today - but it started raining very hard and after about four hours of it - I called it a day - but got most of it boiled. Long Winter - Odd to have rain instead of snow. -------Mike----