PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what"s worse????

DonMcJr
04-06-2013, 05:55 PM
Dumping 150 Gallons of Perfectly good sap OR pulling the taps and watching the sap pour out of the trees still???

**** Surgery on Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry:

rayi
04-06-2013, 06:03 PM
You think thats bad. My new evaporator did not make it in time. I dumped a 250 gal tank twice before I just opened the valve and let it flow. Shut it off a few times so I could boil on the old 2 by 2 flat plan. I kind of think that the sap pouring out of holes when you stop tapping is good for the tree. Flushes out all the bad stuff

brohnson
04-06-2013, 06:03 PM
WOW that is bad news both having surgery and dumping the sap.....if I was closer I would have taken it off your hands but I am up by the bridge. I too pulled my taps today and watched sap pour from the holes but I just started so next year will be a different story. I am tired of burning propane and cant wait to do my oil tank evaporation chamber :)

georgelineman
04-06-2013, 06:52 PM
good luck Don. I spent the day cleaning my pans and putting stuff away:( My wife says I have PMS Post Maple Syndrome! She is right!

Bruce L
04-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Best of luck with your surgery Don,you'll be much better shape for some late night boils next year.Rayi,did your new evaporator never make it?

Run Forest Run!
04-06-2013, 11:48 PM
Dumping 150 Gallons of Perfectly good sap OR pulling the taps and watching the sap pour out of the trees still???

*sigh* That stinks.

Asthepotthickens
04-07-2013, 05:47 AM
We pulled the temps last Saturday, the trees poured sap out yesterday. In the end I thought we have plenty of syrup might as well save our backs and firewood. Good luck to you Don

Angela Rust
04-07-2013, 07:35 AM
So sorry, Don. It makes me sick just to think about it! I wish you well with your surgery. It must be serious to interfere with sugaring!! There's no sense crying over spilled sap. :)

Angela Rust
04-07-2013, 07:46 AM
Wow, so many people having trouble. Our season was fraught with problems as well. The grate under the boiler broke and we were unaware and kept trying to make the fire hotter since things weren't getting hot enough. Eventually the sparks from the chimney (we think) started the shanty on fire and when the water ran out we used sap...this happened just after midnight after a great day. Then we needed more 1/2 gallon containers and bought what the vendor had which proved inferior. They leaked!! Had to redo and replace after contacting a couple customers. Currently the sap is flowing like crazy and the wheel bearing went on the trailer that hauls two 275 tubs. We were told $600 and one week delivery...we said, thanks anyway. All this after the pan leaking in the very beginning...first guy didn't fix it, second guy fixed it badly, Leader fixed it properly and it flew out of the truck and onto the highway an hour later, so Leader fixed it again!! So much time and money wasted this year!! Some years are like this!! But we keep at it. We're doing it today!!

rayi
04-07-2013, 08:04 AM
No new evaporator yet. Patrick had some bad luck last year. Hope 2013 is a better year for him

Shawn
04-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Good luck Don:cool:

DrTimPerkins
04-07-2013, 07:31 PM
**** Surgery on Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry:

Good luck with surgery Don.

danno
04-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Wow, so many people having trouble. Our season was fraught with problems as well. The grate under the boiler broke and we were unaware and kept trying to make the fire hotter since things weren't getting hot enough. Eventually the sparks from the chimney (we think) started the shanty on fire and when the water ran out we used sap...this happened just after midnight after a great day. Then we needed more 1/2 gallon containers and bought what the vendor had which proved inferior. They leaked!! Had to redo and replace after contacting a couple customers. Currently the sap is flowing like crazy and the wheel bearing went on the trailer that hauls two 275 tubs. We were told $600 and one week delivery...we said, thanks anyway. All this after the pan leaking in the very beginning...first guy didn't fix it, second guy fixed it badly, Leader fixed it properly and it flew out of the truck and onto the highway an hour later, so Leader fixed it again!! So much time and money wasted this year!! Some years are like this!! But we keep at it. We're doing it today!!

Now, that right there is a tough season.

Angela Rust
04-07-2013, 10:49 PM
My husband's uncle laughed at me for thinking it was a tough season. He told me today it was no big deal. Maybe because today was awesome. Sap flowing and the syrup was even lighter than last weekend. No dark yet. Maybe a real tough season is last year...where everything works great but the season is over in a couple of days, resulting in less than half what you need to make. Never knowing what to expect drives me crazy. His uncle just takes it as it comes! I don't think I'll ever acheive that mindset.