PDA

View Full Version : Northern Michigan Rookie!

brohnson
04-06-2013, 05:11 PM
I am totally new to this syrup this year but I did 20 taps over propane and ended up with 6.5 gallons of syrup. I am hooked now and I will be building a oil tank evaporator this summer so hopefully I can do 75 taps next year.

Ausable
04-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Hey brohnson - You did good - If you batch boiled and made 6.5 gallons of maple syrup over a turkey fryer burner - You did real good. When You get Your Oil Tank Evaporator built with a continuous flow (divided pans) You will be amazed how much quicker your boil goes. ------Mike------

brohnson
04-06-2013, 07:52 PM
I did it over a turkey fryer and enclosed the whole thing with cement blocks just to see if its something I would like to continue next year and get more in depth with and yes I am hooked and it does take a while and I am glad that propane is some what cheap in this area at $.50 a pound but next year with my oil tank wood will be free :) so I will be figuring everything out this summer and getting all my stuff made up and asking lots of questions as I have gotten so much great ideas already! I already cant wait for next year to make more syrup!!